How to shoot Lilacs???

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A friend of mine asked me to take some pics of Lilacs for her. I have taken a few as practice to work on how I think it will make a good picture, and they all suck. To me, it's an ugly flower and I don't know how to capture it, since it is a "bunch" type of flower instead of a single flower. The tree/bush does have some nice rich green leaves on them, so I was trying to make sure I get some of that in there, maybe I'm just not getting a pretty tree, I dunno.

Anyone have any success photographing Lilacs that would like to share ideas or thoughts?

A friend of mine asked me to take some pics of Lilacs for her. I have taken a few as practice to work on how I think it will make a good picture, and they all suck. To me, it's an ugly flower and I don't know how to capture it, since it is a "bunch" type of flower instead of a single flower. The tree/bush does have some nice rich green leaves on them, so I was trying to make sure I get some of that in there, maybe I'm just not getting a pretty tree, I dunno.

Anyone have any success photographing Lilacs that would like to share ideas or thoughts?

The beauty in Lilacs is in there fragrance, not in the flower itself. I've taken dozens of pictures of Lilacs this year, and deleted every single one of them. What I would suggest is to do a few Google searches and see what comes up.

Lilacs are difficult because you have very small individual flowers in clusters. If you show the clusters you can loose the small flowers -- get too close to the small flowers and loose the sense of the whole plant.

Here's one of my more recent lilacs.

Joe

lilac.jpg

Thats ones nice, thanks for sharing. I like it.

Most of the ones I have been practicing on are not all opened either, makes it more ugly.

I agree the beauty is in the smell, but she likes the looks...women. *shrugs*

Here are two I was practicing on. Don't like them though. lighting not good, need different time of day. But this is not the one I'm going to shoot anyway, so its kinda irrelevant. was just trying different comps.

I didnt edit them either so i'm sure there are issues.

$DSC_0183.jpg$DSC_0184.jpg

I'm thinkin shot two might have been good given different lighting and in full bloom. Hows that one as far as composition/framing etc.?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back