How to take clear photos of Dog Sports

AnaISantos

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I need some help on how to take better and more clear pictures of dog sports....
I've already shearched the web, but so far the results I got with my camera aren't any good... :grumpy:
I have a Fujifilm Finepix HS20 EXR. I've tried using the Shutter Speed and Aperture modes, but the pics I get seem like "oil paintings".... :raisedbrow:
Here's some examples:

$DSCF3221.JPG
(Shutter Speed: 1/400 sec; Exposure Program: Shutter priority; F-Stop: f/6,4; Aperture Value: f/6,4; Max Aperture Value: f/2,8; ISO: 200; Focal Lenght: 29,1 mm)

$S0043233.jpg
(Shutter Speed: 1/1250 sec; Exposure Program: Shutter priority; F-Stop: f/7,1; Aperture Value: f/7,1; Max Aperture Value: f/2,8; ISO: 800; Focal Lenght: 30,3 mm)

$S0083256.JPG
(Shutter Speed: 1/1250 sec; Exposure Program: Shutter priority; F-Stop: f/6,4; Aperture Value: f/6,4; Max Aperture Value: f/2,8; ISO: 400; Focal Lenght: 23,0 mm)

This next pictures were taken in a very rainy and windy day...

$DSCF3411.JPG
(Shutter Speed: 1/180 sec; Exposure Program: Normal program; F-Stop: f/5,0; Aperture Value: f/5,0; Max Aperture Value: f/2,8; ISO: 1600; Focal Lenght: 69,1 mm)

$DSCF3424.JPG
(Shutter Speed: 1/200 sec; Exposure Program: Shutter priority; F-Stop: f/5,6; Aperture Value: f/5,6; Max Aperture Value: f/2,8; ISO: 1600; Focal Lenght: 74,7 mm)

$DSCF3461.jpg
(Shutter Speed: 1/71 sec; Exposure Program: Aperture priority; F-Stop: f/5,0; Aperture Value: f/5,0; Max Aperture Value: f/2,8; ISO: 400; Focal Lenght: 32,7 mm)

This last one was one of the few that are "usable"...Still if I zoom it to the full size, the hairs of the neck near the collar also seem to have a blurry effect...
Hope someone can help me out, and tell me what I can do to take clear pictures... Thanks!!! :hail:

Getting tack-sharp action shots with a bridge camera is going to be a challenge. When shooting this kind of thing, I choose shutter priority, with a 1/1000 sec SS, adjusting ISO as necessary to get that. I also use continuous servo auto-focus so that the AF system is continually tracking and focusing. This is probably a big part of the reason that your action shots, even the ones shot with a fast shutter aren't as sharp as you would like. The camera simply cannot focus as quickly or accurately as needed. You will find better results if you can get angles where the dogs are coming toward you, rather than crossing your viewfinder.

Fuji Fine-pix
f=4.2 - 126mm, equivalent to 24-720mm on a
[FONT=inherit !important][FONT=inherit !important]35mm [/FONT][FONT=inherit !important]camera[/FONT][/FONT]
So any focal length you give us should be multiplied by 6 to get the equivalent focal length of a FF SLR.

That being said, there rule of thumb is that a shutter speed should be no less than the inverse of the focal length just to compensate for camera shake. Then you have also to stop the subject motion.
It is hard to look at resized shots and see anything definitive but, since I see nothing in focus) my guess would be that there are several possible reasons 1) motion blur because of subject speed, 2) camera shake or 3) the camera didn't achieve focus on a fast-moving target.

Have you gotten sharp shots before and since with this camera on other stationary subjects?

Are you trying to focus on the moving dogs as they are moving? This is a problem with bridge cameras due to the delay from the time you press the shutter button to the time if actually takes the picture, known as shutter lag. By the time it takes the picture, the animal has moved slightly from where the focus was locked. You keep tracking the moving dog, but for that small split second the camera does not change it's focus.
On an agility course it's going to be somewhat easy to try to fix since you know where the movement is going to happen. Prefocus on the spot where you are looking for the action, and a hair before it gets to that spot then press the shutter button. This should allow for the lag and get the shot as the dog crosses into the area in focus. A good place to try this as an example is your second shot over the obstacle, prefocus just in front of the item, and as the dog crosses over the top press the shutter button. With some practice you can get the timing really close.
Another thing I would do which is different from the advice above, is shoot in aperture priority mode so you can shoot with the aperture as wide open as possible to narrow your depth of field and isolate the subject more. Adjust your ISO so it will keep the shutter speed up high enough to stop the action.
Even better yet if you have lighting that is not changing would be to find an exposure that gives you both the small aperture and fast enough shutter speed and set the camera on manual exposure based off of that setting.

As you can see from the posts here, there are several ways to skin this cat. Experiment and find one that works for you.

Or wait till they tire themselves out...
399519983.jpg

Last edited:
Pet Photography can be quite rewarding if done right. Having two dogs myself I take a lot of pet photos. Dogs in action are not an easy subject but if you do a few basic things right you should be alright.

I've written an Article about pet photography in general. Click here to check it out, it may help you to improve your photographs.

All the best, Judy :)

Pet Photography can be quite rewarding if done right. Having two dogs myself I take a lot of pet photos. Dogs in action are not an easy subject but if you do a few basic things right you should be alright.

I've written an Article about pet photography in general. Click here to check it out, it may help you to improve your photographs.

Just had a look and the photo is out of focus

With that camera you will struggle, you need to get closer and use shorter focal lengths to keep your aperture wider for faster shutter speeds, you will need to turn off auto focus and manual focus on the jump and because of shutter lag press your shutter early, I have shot dog agility too many times and try to keep my shutter speed no lower than 1/640, i use top end gear 300mmF2.8L 1D and still prefocus to get the shots
Here's one 1/1000 F4.5 iso500

be0c3505-after-L.jpg

beautiful dog!
not so great focus. image is soft.

beautiful dog!
not so great focus. image is soft.

Shot at 1/160

Thanks a lot for all your replies :hug::
The Focus on the camera was set to AF-C (continuous auto-focus).
I did read on some reviews about this camera that she had some trouble keeping the focus on moving subjects....
So I suppose I will try to set the focus to manual and see if it works better ;)
I do think I got some focused pictures before with this camera of stationary objects.

Here some examples, all taken in "normal" mode:
$DSCF1073.jpg

Zoomed image:
$DSCF1076.jpg

$DSCF1567.jpg

What camera would you recommend for dog sports photography?
Not one of those real expensive ones ;) but one that could be a nice compromise in order to get better and sharper images! Thanks again for your help :hail:

If attempts at shots are at an agility course, you have routine in your favor. You can setup and anticipate where the action will be. So maybe a tripod, manual focus to where the dog will be, follow the suggested shutter speeds and adjust accordingly and maybe even try panning. Definitely get closer if you can for the action shots.

I think a cool concept would be to setup at the end of the jump.

What camera would you recommend for dog sports photography?
Not one of those real expensive ones ;) but one that could be a nice compromise in order to get better and sharper images! Thanks again for your help :hail:

My guess is that, with some practice you will get better at 'freezing' the action with your camera.
Practice on taking pictures of cars in traffic to get ready.

In regards recommending a perfect but inexpensive, camera, this is a conundrum. More flexibility and quality inevitably means more money.

You could get an older digital slr and a used long-focus lens but without an idea of your budget and the extent of your interest, no one could even suggest a way to go.

Well, I've been looking for the Canon EOS 7D... ;)
Can't get it right now, but hope to in the future....
Is this a good camera for sports?
I've been looking for some reviews and it does seem like a possible choice for the type of pics I like...
Think Canon now has a EOS 6D, but it's a lot more expensive than the 7D...

You don't need to spend a furtune, this was shot with an old Canon 10D and 70-200F4

Image00049-L.jpg

Attachments

• $Image00049-L.jpg
    $Image00049-L.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 144
You'll need a camera that has a good burst rate, the EOS 7D can do 8 frames a second, EOS 6D manages just 4.5 frames per second.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back