how to take Night pics ??

MH_91

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hope you all doing well ..

am going to take pictures of couples this weekend , and they asked for night pictures

well i never did night shoots , only landscape pictures(slow shutter speed pictures ) , they want night pictures because of the Christmas lights and trees ,

all the equipment that i have is

Tripod
flash 430 ex II
and Canon 20D

so could you guys help me out here

thank you soo much

If you've never done this before, set your flash to ttl so that your not worrying about setting it manually. If your ttl also has a setting called "bl" or backlight", try using that one as well. I know Nikon offers the setting, just not familiar with Canon.

The trick is to drag the shutter. Use your tripod.

The main thing to this is to get your flash on rear curtain setting. What this means is that the flash will fire at the end of the exposure, not at the start. Have the couple stand as still as possible, the flash should stop 90% of their motion.

You will want to shoot as wide open as possible, so f2.8 or better if you can, turn your iso up to 800 or so to start. Then the trick is to take a longer shutter speed, something around 1/30th to start. The trick is you are trying to light the couple with the flash to get them exposed nicely without any motion blur, and then have the shutter stay open long enough to expose the background. Having the flash on rear curtain will expose the stopped motion ontop of the blurred long exposure instead of having the long exposure expose ontop of your nice stopped motion.

If you've never done this before, set your flash to ttl so that your not worrying about setting it manually. If your ttl also has a setting called "bl" or backlight", try using that one as well. I know Nikon offers the setting, just not familiar with Canon.

The main thing to this is to get your flash on rear curtain setting. What this means is that the flash will fire at the end of the exposure, not at the start. Have the couple stand as still as possible, the flash should stop 90% of their motion.

You will want to shoot as wide open as possible, so f2.8 or better if you can, turn your iso up to 800 or so to start. Then the trick is to take a longer shutter speed, something around 1/30th to start. The trick is you are trying to light the couple with the flash to get them exposed nicely without any motion blur, and then have the shutter stay open long enough to expose the background. Having the flash on rear curtain will expose the stopped motion ontop of the blurred long exposure instead of having the long exposure expose ontop of your nice stopped motion.

ohh thank you soo much for the information , well i tried that stuff you told me yestarday and i got some good pics

thanks ! ..

what if i dont have a lens that goes down to a 2.8, mine only goes to 3.5 how can i adjust without getting my subject blurry? i got a tripod, nikon d200, sb-600 and sigma lens 18-125 3.5-6.5

what if i dont have a lens that goes down to a 2.8, mine only goes to 3.5 how can i adjust without getting my subject blurry? i got a tripod, nikon d200, sb-600 and sigma lens 18-125 3.5-6.5

as he said , using the flash will freaz ur pic up to 90 % , and u have tripod that another 5 %

i will take couples pics at night tomorrow and i will tell u how it goes

i did lots of testing and this comment really helped me !

Most reactions

New Topics

Back