How to unedit in CS6

JoshuaSimPhotography

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I recently downloaded ps cs6, but I can’t figure out how to undo a certain area. I tried using the history brush but it said It wasn’t on its original canvas as I had cropped it, so is there any way at all? And apparently there is a limit on how many times you can stepback and I breached it unfortunately

You can define the 'stepback limit' (History & Cache). Go under the Edit tab, and then to the bottom of the list to Preferences > Performance.

I also highly recommend you invest in an essential reference - Adobe Photoshop CS6 for Photographers: A professional image editor's guide to the creative use of Photoshop for the Macintosh and PC

With CS 6 open, you can also access Adobe Community Help by pressing your keyboard's F1 key, or by going under Help > Photoshop Help.

By using a new layer for each type of edit you do, you can turn off or delete that layer to eliminate all of that type of edit.

Two other very handy approaches are to use adjustment layers as much as possible and/or making layers Smart Objects.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I usually duplicate the layer before going in and doing heavy mods. Even if you can't u do it, you can dump the layer and try again. If you like it you can turn the eye off on the duplicate layer to hide it.

It's worth mentioning, in Lightroom it saves every adjustment you've ever made to an image. Every fraction of a crop, every slight shift in color, tone, shadows, highlights, exposure. EVERYTHING you do to an image.

Extremely handy. It would be nice if CS6 could incorporate such a thing.

CS 6 (Photoshop 13) has Camera Raw. Camera Raw and Lightroom 4 use the same edit rendering engine ACR 7 (Adobe Camera Raw 7). So with CS 6 Camera Raw, you already have essentially the same parametric editing capability that Lightroom 4 has.

Note that Lighroom 4 uses ACR 7 for editing. ACR first appeared in Photoshop 7. Photoshop 8 was called CS, which is why CS 6 is actually Photoshop 13.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back