How to use a Sekonic light meter.

Don't know why we're getting all exercised about this. When we shoot without flash pretty much all of us are using either the camera meter or another light meter to determine the exposure. Probably no-one is going "full commando" (ie, no metering whatsoever) and "chimping" their way to the correct exposure with a regular digital camera. So why treat the flash photography any different? It's an aid, it allows you to figure out the light settings, the flash-subject distances, and a bunch of other things without having to set, take a shot, analyze the shot to see what did and didn't work, then work through correcting the deficiencies... Yeah, I've done stobist-type shots with radio triggers and multiple flashes, but I usually fire off test flashes and determine how much light (and in what proportion) I need from each flash before starting to shoot. Since I got the Sekonic 358, I've had to use much less guess-work, and could focus on the composition, the balance, and similar issues, rather than trying to get the basic exposure right.

Last edited:
I think a light meter would still be a worthwhile addition to your bag...

Taking a test shot and adjusting isn't always possible.

Some people like film, and LCDs break.

Getting it right without guessing is still a nice skill to have.

Exactly. A light meter is really the most useful way to learn how exposure works. And it's a damned valuable tool also. I used my Luna Pro for years and if I had it around, I'd still be using it and I work in the field, not in a studio.

A new light meter is a priority for my next kit purchase.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back