How to use a Sekonic light meter.

iammacktyson

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum and I've been looking all over the internet trying to figure this out. I'm going to be purchasing 3 flash guns and umbrellas for a strobist set-up to use indoors/outdoors, and a light meter. I would like to have the lighting already set up and exposure calculated before the model arrives to my home studio. Also being able to set up the next shot while the model is doing make-up etc. would be nice. How can I use my light meter to get proper exposure sorted out on my own. I can't afford Pocket Wizards which can be triggered by the light meter. I'll be using ebay triggers. Do I have no other option but to have the model hold the meter while I try to get the exposure right?

I hope a explained my situation clearly, all help is greatly appreciated, I wanna get this figured out before I purchase any equipment.

Take my advice and don't waste money on a light meter. Take a test shot and adjust as needed. Once you start working with studio lights all will be easier and you will know where to start.

Say you start at 1/200 f4 ISO 100 with 1/2 power on your strobe. Then gro from there.

I think a light meter would still be a worthwhile addition to your bag...

Taking a test shot and adjusting isn't always possible.

Some people like film, and LCDs break.

Getting it right without guessing is still a nice skill to have.

When you know how to use a light meter, you no longer have to guess about exposure.

Many who make the recommendation that you don't need a handheld light meter for strobed light photography, either don't know how to use one, have never have used one, or have all the time in the world to fool around till they manage to get acceptable results.

There are tutorials all over the Internet on how to use a light meter.

Last edited:
....and many who buy light meters stop using them after they figure out their lights :er:

Yep, that can be a big difference between an amateur and a pro.

Pros don't stop using their light meters because they know time - is money.

Lighting setups change all the time, and need to be re-metered.

The OP wants to do both studio and location shoots.

A light meter, and knowing how to use it as second nature, is indespensible.

...in your definition of who's a pro and who's an amateur

OP, I suggest you use Google and see what the "pros" think of light meters and how many continue to use them after they buy them. So it's not another "thing" inside your bag.

Then you can also see how other "pros" take their shots w/out using any light meter for editorial works.

Now I don't know how many "pros" or amateurs are there in the strobist website, but I'd start there. Also I'd say check out zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias which is an extremely good website and he's very knowledgeable of working with light. By certain people's definition he may not be a "pro" because he also never uses his light meter (and I believe he has it on sale if you really truly want one) but he makes **** load of $$$ being "non-pro" with his editorial work.

Either way, gluck. Im not against a light meter or anything. Just saying that it may not be something you truly need. Also talk to some others who own studios if they always use theirs and the benefits of it and w/out it.

When you know how to use a light meter, you no longer have to guess about exposure.

Many who make the recommendation that you don't need a handheld light meter for strobed light photography, either don't know how to use one, have never have used one, or have all the time in the world to dick around till they manage to get acceptable results.

Ahem, cough,cough...I take exception to your use of the phrase "dick around"...the proper term is " 'futz' around "...cough,cough...

Simplified to the core, with a flash meter one takes a reading of the main light, then a reading of the fill light, each time shielding the incident dome from stray light, then points the meter back toward the camera from subject position, and gets meaningless information like the output of the main light down to the tenth of an f/stop, the output of the fill light down to a tenth of an f/stop, as well as having the opportunity to switch the meter to reflected light readings to determine if a black or gray background will come out pure white, or if another 3 or 4 tenths of a stop is required. I mean, the flash meter allows all this meaningless, precise, accurate information to be displayed in seconds, even when the subject is doing a clothes change or has not even arrived at the studio. Who'd want that degree of accuracy, precision, and repeatability? Imagine what a PITA it is to have to deal with such cold,calculating, accurate data points all the time! Having all that accurate information at one's fingertips tends to make one into more of a technician, a techno-geek,dweeby, exposure-nailing,pro-shooter type than an artiste.

By working without a flash meter, the photographer enjoys all the advantages of being able to wing it, to half-ass it, and to guess at fill light ratio, guess at precise background brightness, and to follow the time-honored process of shoot-chimp-review-adjust-shoot-chimp-adjust-shoot-chimp-adjust-shoot-chimp-adjust-shoot-chimp-adjust-shoot-chimp-adjust in order to get three lights or four lights *precisely* and accurately adjusted. This process emphasizes creativity and freedom in workflow, and the feel-good kind of hang loose vibe of a good surfing spot. It's a much more easy-breezy way to shoot, and well...you know, it allows one to 'futz' around and get the feel of the lights and to ensure that there's some work to do in post process to get the "doah!" shots to look like the rest of the frames.

OP, I suggest you use Google and see what the "pros" think of light meters and how many continue to use them after they buy them. So it's not another "thing" inside your bag.

Then you can also see how other "pros" take their shots w/out using any light meter for editorial works.

Now I don't know how many "pros" or amateurs are there in the strobist website, but I'd start there. Also I'd say check out zarias.com :: The blog of editorial photographer Zack Arias which is an extremely good website and he's very knowledgeable of working with light. By certain people's definition he may not be a "pro" because he also never uses his light meter (and I believe he has it on sale if you really truly want one) but he makes **** load of $$$ being "non-pro" with his editorial work.

Either way, gluck. Im not against a light meter or anything. Just saying that it may not be something you truly need. Also talk to some others who own studios if they always use theirs and the benefits of it and w/out it.

Try shooting small-product work on 4x5 sheet film at $6 per shot. See who's a pro and who half-asses it. The top-level pros rely on light meters. Kind of like the way professional pilots fly by instruments, not by 'futzing around'.

Take my advice and don't waste money on a light meter.
Based on what exactly? Please don't revisit your arguements stated further in this thread ( to around post #7 ) because they are
circumspect at best. How do you know oh wise one?

Take my advice and don't waste money on a light meter.
Based on what exactly? Please don't revisit your arguements stated further in this thread ( to around post #7 ) because they are
circumspect at best. How do you know oh wise one?

I really, really tried very hard to answer it but with my lack of interest in this subject, I will just leave it alone. But I didn't have my doubts a few of you would go 180 on my statement.

G'luck OP with your decision. The pros have already given their reasons why you should own one... or have they? :confused:

Perhaps you might get some more info here. They're full of ex-pros because after decades of using light meters, they suddenly don't use them anymore.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1014&message=29667721&changemode=1

Last edited:
... uh guys, another slamming thread brewing up, could prove entertaining at the least but no one has yet answered the op's question.

Mack,

No one has said it yet so let me welcome you to the forum. Most days this is a welcoming and helpful place. Unless someone decides to through their dummy out of the pram.

You don't mention specific brands or models so it's a bit difficult to give a precise answer. Most flash meters will have a pc port on them somewhere. It's not elegant but you can connect a flash to the meter with a pc cable (Yeah, a real physical cable!) and trigger your flash from the flash meter. If you want more than one flash at a time then the others will fire through their optical slave sensor. If they don't have one then B&H, Adorama, and the like sell inexpensive ones. If you want to meter each flash individually then you just physically connect the cable to the flash you want to meter. Some meters will keep a running count (for lack of a better word) of your exposure as you build it up. If not, then a good old paper notepad (the kind without batteries) and an analog wireless writing device (pen or pencil) to jot things down will be helpful.

I don't own radio poppers or pocket wizards (the name alone makes me giggle) so that is the method I resort to when using my meter less medium format gear. (I know, a dinosaur)

This stuff is fun, you'll see.

Many who make the recommendation that you don't need a handheld light meter for strobed light photography, either don't know how to use one, have never have used one, or have all the time in the world to fool around till they manage to get acceptable results.

:thumbup:

....and many who buy light meters stop using them after they figure out their lights :er:

Where is the study showing this? I have sold one flash meter in my life. That was when I liquidated my first studio. Then again I also sold the strobes and cameras...

Now I don't know how many "pros" or amateurs are there in the strobist website, but I'd start there.

Strobist is a joke. But you would need to understand what a pro studio can be like to understand that. Yes, you can do decent work with the idea as long as it is small scale. Kind of like the Sears Portrait Studio. Hey, those guys don't use flash meters, they just follow the diagram :lmao: Then again, I don't see those guys as photographers even though they are pros :grumpy:

I really, really tried very hard to answer it but with my lack of interest in this subject

Your lack of interest makes you the worst person to decide if a light meter is needed or not. The funny thing is, I AGREE with you. The OP doesn't need a light meter, he needs a flash meter.

The saddest thing about this thread is that none of the supposed pros corrected the OP or you on that point.

Now, I happen to agree that the OP probably doesn't need a flash meter. I mean, he wants to do strobist work in his home studio so he can probably chimp his way through.

But, other than that, I totally disagree with you. Maybe you need to see a real studio.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back