How to use off-camera flash - Energizer ENF-600N with Nikon D5200

Kim4ester

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have used my Energizer ENF-600N external flash on-camera with my D5200 for awhile now, always setting the ouput manually (TTL is not very accurate on it), however I would like to start using it off-camera. I know that this flash can be used off-camera, but I can't find out anywhere how to set it up. Do I need a cable or radio transmitter? I believe that some cameras can transmit to off-camera flash wirelessly by selecting an off-camera flash option in their menu somewhere, without a separate transmitter. Please help!!

AFIK, there are three ways to fire a non-maker remote flash.

1. a cable going from the camera to the flash (usually less than 30 feet or so)
2. wireless (RF)transmitter and receiver (almost any distance within reason)
3. "slave" mode, depending on if the flash has the capability. (providing some light from some other flash is generating a flash that the slave can "see".

Actually, you can purchase a slave trigger attachment if your flash does not have that capability.

4. In Nikon, there is the "CLS" which uses coded pre-flashes in either the SU-800 attachment, or "commander mode" in the "pro-sumer" camera bodies.

As designer said, you have some options. I would recommend the purchase of RF (radio) triggers; a pair (You need a transmitter and a receiver) can be had quite inexpensively on eBay. Look for Yongnuo and Catctus as two decent, consumer-grade names.

Most reactions

Back