How to use your built in Flash in the sun

Now, instead of metering the subject, I moved my center mark to the blue sky. I use manual at this point. I am keeping the shutter speed at 1/200. I changed the aperture until I move my metering bar to 0. As you can see the sky is now blue... but the subject is really dark.
What does this mean? What is metering? I like you sample pictures, as I can see what you are trying to explain as the differences. I'm just totally lost on the vocab, lol. I know, I have lots to learn, but this what you are trying to teach is something I need help with. I do have a Nikon though.

When you point your camera and you press half way, the camera will tell you how far you are from "perfect" exposure. Do you see the little tick marks when you look through the camera or screen? You are trying to put the bar in the middle.

I agree with schwetty, I didn't understand anything kundalini was trying to say, lol.

At least I could tell what schwetty was getting at with his pictures, even though I don't know what metering is. :(

Now, instead of metering the subject, I moved my center mark to the blue sky. I use manual at this point. I am keeping the shutter speed at 1/200. I changed the aperture until I move my metering bar to 0. As you can see the sky is now blue... but the subject is really dark.

When you point your camera and you press half way, the camera will tell you how far you are from "perfect" exposure. Do you see the little tick marks when you look through the camera or screen? You are trying to put the bar in the middle.

No, I don't see tick marks through my camera, or a bar. Is there a certain setting it should be on to see it? Or should it always be there?

I think on nikon it is more like an arrow (left or right). Read your manual about metering

While I do understand what you are trying to do, I am afraid you made it too complicated though Kundalini. You can't just tell beginner to underexpose it to their liking.
I did explain that I went from f/5.6 to f/10. That's a total of 5 clicks (1-2/3rds stops) with the forefinger of the sub-command dial (Nikon speak) Complicated? I think not. Look at the LCD. You can get a reasonable example of which way you want to go.

On the top of that you introduced flash compensation. I was trying to make it as easy as possible. That's why I meter the sky instead.
The owners manual is such a PITA to read isn't it?

Just my two cents here ...
I'm a a beginner and I understood Kundalini's examples and wording.. IMO it was much more simple and understandable.. I think the examples are what sold me ... the examples are excellent as well as the final product.. The image looks amazing for something shot in bright sunlight

Ahhhh. You are really an ass. One user just told me he didn't know what metering was.

While I do understand what you are trying to do, I am afraid you made it too complicated though Kundalini. You can't just tell beginner to underexpose it to their liking.
I did explain that I went from f/5.6 to f/10. That's a total of 5 clicks (1-2/3rds stops) with the forefinger of the sub-command dial (Nikon speak) Complicated? I think not. Look at the LCD. You can get a reasonable example of which way you want to go.

On the top of that you introduced flash compensation. I was trying to make it as easy as possible. That's why I meter the sky instead.
The owners manual is such a PITA to read isn't it?

Yes, the manual is a PITA to read! And I have read pretty much the whole thing at one point. I just don't understand a lot of things. When I say I'm a beginner, I mean I truly am a beginner! If you are using Nikon language, I'm not getting it, lol. Sorry. I appreciate you trying to help.

Just my two cents here ...
I'm a a beginner and I understood Kundalini's examples and wording.. IMO it was much more simple and understandable.. I think the examples are what sold me ... the examples are excellent as well as the final product.. The image looks amazing for something shot in bright sunlight

I'm a beginner too and I do understand what he said. I guess there are different levels of beginners then.

ugh! duplicate!

Last edited:
Ahhhh. You are really an ass. One user just told me he didn't know what metering was.
Diredted at me? Actually it would read better if you changed word positions, such as, You really are an ass :biglaugh: And that's my fault because.......... :lmao: Good luck in the future. Perhaps your buddy with the new 5dmkii or whatever can guide you through.

Definitely different levels of beginners! Obviously! lol

I didn't understand anything kundalini was trying to say, lol.
Where did I lose you? Seriously.

You just used a lot of vocabulary that is foreign to me, that's all. I need to review my manual again and read something on basic photography with definitions of the vocabulary. I am rusty, and the last time I read up on this stuff was awhile ago. I've been in school with no time to spend on my hobby. I do need help with sunlight photographing and thought this would be an interesting thread to help me, but it's confusing when I don't know the basics of what you are talking about. It's my bad.

Most reactions

Back