How to watermark?!

ThornleyGroves

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Bournemouth, Manchester, Athens, Liverpool
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone, okay i've got to the stage now where i want to watermark pretty much all of my images! The problem is i don't know how to apply a watermark to all of my images in one simple way. I have a Nikon D90 and i just want pretty much every photo i take to have some sort of watermark on! Thanks alot

ThornleyGroves

The simplest way to do it, if you have Elements or Photoshop, is open the image and add a new layer. Insert your text on the new layer and move it where you want it. Then set the opacity slider for that layer down to around 17%.

There must be a way to export the layer so you could add it to each photo you have. Maybe someone else will know how.

A.

edit - found a better way... http://www.graphic-design.com/Photoshop/elements/watermarking.html

Last edited:
Hi everyone, okay i've got to the stage now where i want to watermark pretty much all of my images! The problem is i don't know how to apply a watermark to all of my images in one simple way. I have a Nikon D90 and i just want pretty much every photo i take to have some sort of watermark on! Thanks alot

ThornleyGroves
I was wondering. Do you add a Comment to your image metadata. Refer to page 205 of your camera manual. I use the Comment to add a copyright notice to every image I make. You can also use a metadata reader/writer like PhotoMe to imbed information.

Unfortunately, watermarking won't deter someone from stealing an image if they really want it. Watermarks can be removed with Photoshop.

Do you shoot primarily RAW or JPEG? When you saw watermark do you mean a copyright statement or a logo?

If primarily RAW, most keepers will get run through Photoshop and you can write an Action to watermark your images with text there.

If you primarily shoot JPEG it's easier to use batch software like FastStone ( www.faststone.org ) to add your watermark to an entire folder of images that are the same size.

If you are using Photoshop there are several ways of doing it.
Using a brush, a seperate document or via a script are but a few.
A quick example is using a seperate file....

Create your logo/signature if transparency required save as TIF,PSD,PNG etc
Now open a document and start recording a new action.
File -Place (select your logo/signature) file
Double click to accept its position (this will be the center of the picture)
Ctrl/A to select the whole layer your logo is on.
Now if you want the logo/signature say bottom right but 5 pixels up..
Use your cursor keys press the up arrow 5 times and the left arrow 5 times.
Layer - Align layers to selection - Bottom Edges
Layer - Align layers to selection - Right Edges
Ctrl/D to deselect
Flatten if required
Do your save
Stop the recording.
You can now batch this action as per normal.

The problem that you will have is the size of document you will be applying it to, it will be small on a large document and large on a small document.
Scripting would be the way forward as files/text can be scaled.

Wow two questions I came on here to ask today and both posted already. Good day to buy a lotto ticket? Thanks for the answers

I have CS4 and i dont see any way to make a watermark but to build an action. Anyone?

Wow two questions I came on here to ask today and both posted already. Good day to buy a lotto ticket? Thanks for the answers

Nope your luck quota is used up for the day, buy tomorrow! ;)

I have CS4 and i dont see any way to make a watermark but to build an action. Anyone?

One of the things with Photoshop a lot of people don't realise is that it won't hold your hand. It doesn't have a soft focus filter so you need to duplicate a layer, blur and adjust opacity manually, and the same applies to its watermark feature.

There are 100 different ways to watermark giving 100 different effects. Photoshop provides you the tools but not the methodology. A quick google search will find you plenty of methods along with pre-downloadable actions.

Unfortunately, watermarking won't deter someone from stealing an image if they really want it. Watermarks can be removed with Photoshop.

If you increase the opacity percentage to say 100. is it more difficult to photoshop out a watermark??

Anything can be removed with photoshop. But if you increase the opacity to 100 it'll make it more difficult to see the photo. If someone really wants to steal something they will. All you need to do is make it difficult for them to derive profit from it.

Post small images online (less than 1000x650). Then people can't print decent copies, meaning the only people who would steal them are poor sorry souls who want recognition. But these are the type who'd simply find a non-watermarked image and put their name on that.

Anything can be removed with photoshop if you're good at it. But if you increase the opacity to 100 it'll make it more difficult to see the photo. If someone really wants to steal something they will. All you need to do is make it difficult for them to derive profit from it.

Post small images online (less than 1000x650). Then people can't print decent copies.

I want to make an action that will add a watermark .. But does anyone know how to make it scale properly to any image size and orientation?

You need to write a script to do this. There are batch scripts that exist that do this sort of thing, as an example:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a way to do it with the Canon software? I don't have photoshop.

Most reactions

Back