HOW WOULD YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION TO YOUR CLIENTS/POTENTIAL CLIENTS... PLEASE HELP!

Monica Fermin

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.monicafermin.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First of all, I want you to know I just started my photography business. I've started with friends and family and the word is spreading like crazy! I've been pretty busy for it being a side business... not complaining, don't get me wrong! :)

Now I have a dilemma....

I have been asked this question a few times now. I've been able to changed the subject or not get into detail with friends, family and clients when they ask me "Where do you get your prints from?"

But I just received an email from my husband's cousin asking me this question. She says someone from her office is a photobug and was wondering who I use. I'm not sure she's telling me the truth as to why she's asking.

I just don't want to have to repeat myself over and over as to why these prints are so cheap for me to have done and why I am marking up my prices as much as I do.

Another frequent question I've heard is "How much do you pay for the prints?" Uhh...?/? Why do people feel the need to ask me this? These are my prices.. why do you need to know how much I get them for and how much I'm making off of them? arrrgghhhh... Someone please direct me!

I would just tell them that you don't provide that information as part of your business protocol. If potential clients make an issue of you not telling them, then simply and politley tell them that they are free to seek another photographer for their needs.

I agree with the above, you really don't have to tell them.

For example, you dont go into a store and ask them where they get there stuff and for how much do you? Probably not, and if so, they wouldnt tell you anyways...it would ruin business. Just do as DRoberts said! :)

Tell them that the cost of the ink & paper is $0.39 (or whatever) but the cost of the photo itself is $20 (or whatever).

I don't see how that's anyone's business but your own. That's just like asking how much someone gets paid.

Monica:

As a photographer, your value comes in providing a skill to people who don't have that skill themselves.

In other words, I'm not going to pay $500 for a family portrait if I'm capable of shooting one myself. But I'm not capable... so therefore I have to pay the price.

To look at it another way... you are not selling just pictures. You are selling memories. Memories that would be lost forever if you, Monica, weren't there to capture them with your camera.

And that's why it shouldn't matter one bit how much you pay for your prints.

Good luck.

Just tell them you print them yourself. Problem solved lol. Or tell them it's the secret of your business. That's what I tell people at the place I work at when they don't know what's on the buffet (and neither do I) I just tell them it's the chef's secret, lol. It always works and the customer gets a good laugh :D

Just tell them that you could tell them, but then your GIANT SIG FILE would have to kill them. :)

In all honesty, I've had to answer this a few times now and I tell people where I get my prints done. I've not had anyone question the $9 discrepancy for a 4x6 photo, though.

When they ask where, I just tell them I have a few professional labs who I work with. If someone asked me my cost, well, thats none of their business. lol I would tell them that that information is not available as this is a business. They wouldnt go out to eat and ask the chef how much their $25 steak was, would they? lol

Just tell them that you could tell them, but then your GIANT SIG FILE would have to kill them. :)

In all honesty, I've had to answer this a few times now and I tell people where I get my prints done. I've not had anyone question the $9 discrepancy for a 4x6 photo, though.

$9? Mine is like $32! lol :lol: They might do a double take at that.

$9? Mine is like $32!

HA! I got y'all beat. A normal electrical socket costs about 40 cents. If I go to your house and change a "bad" socket, I get $75! Woo hoo!!

Actually, I guess it all depends on what you are willing to pay. I'll be honest, I don't care if it's Annie Liebowitz herself, I'm not going to pay more than X dollars for a freakin' print. :lol:

next time i go to Ruth's Chris Steakhouse i'm going to ask which farm they get their steak from, and how much they paid for it per cut.

honestly, that's just a rude question in my opinion.

Actually, most decent steak houses will tell you exactly where they source their beef. Many higher-end restaurants these days make it a point of telling you on the menu what farm everything comes from.(Not the price per item, though, I will admit.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back