HOW WOULD YOU ANSWER THIS QUESTION TO YOUR CLIENTS/POTENTIAL CLIENTS... PLEASE HELP!

i get people hinting at me trying to find out where I get my prints..and all I say is "I get them done at a professional lab" There are plently around and if they want to know so bad, that much information should be enough that they can get their minds working and look up a yellow book or something...I haven't had anyone insist me about lab info though....just hints and such

Well, so far, I haven't answered her email in which she specifically is asking me where I get my prints form.. hoping that will be a big hint.. .you just don't ask those questions...

I found my lab on here! I had a few suggestions but more on one lab. I must admit, ithey are pretty good :) .......Hmm.. maybe that's what I'll suggest. She can refer her co worker to this forum... ya?

PS.. sorry about my BIG SIG File.. will work on that:lol:

Back when I was selling prints, that would come up now and then from customers buying large prints. My answer was always along the lines of:

Where do you get the prints made?:
"Different labs, depending upon the specific file" or "Several different labs, but I'm pretty particular about it"

On the cost question, I always put on a big smile and said:
"Good labs aren't cheap and the price can vary. What makes you ask that?"

I found this approach to be effective without creating undo tension or hard feelings with my customers.

Marc

When asked this question I say that I use a "Pro Lab" for my customer orders - that they only accept orders from people who are in business. I then refer them to mpix or costco and tell them that I use them for snapshots, etc. Works.

You dont have to tell them anything, just say its a trade secret. : )

And when someone complains about paying $$ for a $ print, just tell them they are not paying for the paper, but rather paying for your skill, equipment rental, and time. :) People dont generally complain about paying an electrician $$$ for a job saying that the parts only cost $. They expect to pay $$$ when they hire a pro. Its sad some complain when it comes to photography, but they just have to be educated. : )

I take a rather different approach normally. When I quote prices to clients it is a price for the negative/digital file. If they want me to provide the prints, I then give them options: I tell them that if they want high-end archival prints, I will get them done at either lab 'X' or 'Y' and the cost per print will be 'Z' (Their cost to me plust a mark-up). If they want a whole slew of prints to send out to all the cousins, I can get them done at Wal-mart for <$1.00 per 4x6.

The first thing I would do is calm down, quit shouting and turn off the caps lock.

I'm going back to the start of the thread and read what it's about now. I'll probably be back, see you in a few.

Like others, I just say (it's no big deal), "I have business accounts with several pro labs. If you have some snapshots you want printed, I recommend an online company called Mpix. They make nice prints, have good customer service and offer a pretty good range of products. Will you be paying with cash or using your charge card for todays charges."

Last edited:
My price list edges up on that towards the 8x10's, but not the 4x6's. Oddly, I've had no one order 4x6 prints.

I hate 4x6's...so I have them priced the same at 5x7's. (it just says 5x7 and smaller $35 on my price sheet) Somehow people still end up buying them, but not often.

I tell all my clients, especially those that get a printable cd as I want the work to be correct and crappy print houses dont cut it.

Your price per print is irrelevant, clients pay for your work/time/expertise, not just a print, its a Professional print which you create, dont worry about it, if your good enough they'll pay whatever. H

I never had anyone ask what my cost was. That's wrong, and odd. I will say a professional lab that caters to pro photo studios on the west coast, which is true. If anyone asks what my price is I would tell them we are competitively - priced and pretty much break even on print sales.

on the side...I'm not in business to sell prints, it's just an add-on for the couples' convenience.....which, is the truth. We don't get many print sales and from what we get, it's just enough to put gas in the tank at times. They get the disc, and do with it what they want. most print sales are from people out of state.....

You know, I have never had anyone ask me how much my prints cost me, but I have had people ask what lab because they love the quality of my prints, or because they wanted to get some of their own prints on metallic paper and couldn't find anywhere.

As far as the cost, I really don't know if I would have a problem telling them what they cost (even though it isn't any of their business), I'm not selling them the ink and paper. I am selling them a memory. I mean, I can buy a pair of scissors for $5, but I'm not going to cut my hair with them. I go to the lady that charges me $65 for an hour of her time.... We won't even get into hair color... :lol:

Personally, I think this is yet another reason the "make most of your money in high-margin prints" model is no longer valid.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back