How would you start?

Grandpa Ron

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just for fun I resurrected my old old 4x5 camera. A quick scan of the web shows B&W film is about $1.25 a sheet, $ 4.00 to develop and $6.00 to print. So, about $12.00 a shot. :aiwebs_016:

Therefore it looks like it will be home processing.

So the question is, if you were doing this just for the fun of doing, and a limited budget,
What B&W film would you choose?
What film developer would you choose.
Then what print paper and developers would you choose. I will be contact printing.

The last time I did this was back in the late 1960's with Tri-X. My pictures are usually scenery, the dog, and other fun stuff while snowshoeing in the winter; now that I am retired.

Thanks

Kodak Plus-X Pan film or Kodak Tri-X Pan. Kodak HC-110 film developer, Kodak indicator stop bath, Ilford fixer. Paper? A polycontrast type of resin-coated paper, so you could use filters to change the grade of the paper. Develop the contact prints in Dektol. This is all very 1990's; perhaps there are newer, better options.

I would get out my digital camera and take great pictures of the old 4X5

I have definitely done that.

But amongst my many hobbies are several old time adventures. I restored a turn of the last century wood and canvas canoe, I have built numerous muzzle loading firearms, repairs any number of old banjos fiddle and other old instruments that folk have given me.

I was clearing out my attic to round some wiring and can across the remains my uncles 1930s vintage enlarger, for yet another adventure.

Take care

An enlarger too! It might be like riding a bike and come back to you.

You might take a look at Home - The Film Photography Project . If you have questions once you get going ask here or try there, I think their message board is their Flickr discussion group.

Ilford also has resources on their website for B&W photography.

Most reactions

Back