How?

I won't do it :) Didn't realize they were paid so low.
Yeah its really not on par with what we do :) I always wanted to be one though when I was a teen, you certainly learn how to sell and people skills :D

I am licensed in Life/health Insurance so I learned a lot about sales. I really just wanted to know about this as silly as it sounded and wasn't just talking about Wally World, also like JCPenny portrait studio because my oldest son who is now 17, when he was 4, they literally told him to sit on the "X." I knew nothing about photography 12 years ago and always wondered how they did it and sell the packages so cheap. Also, my youngest, age 10, had football pictures taken with his team. His face was blurry. I could have done a better job myself.

It's called a "Loss Leader." They take a loss on it to make a profit elsewhere.
Exactly what I was going to say. The portrait studio inside Walmart likely loses money. They're hoping that you're going to go shopping while you're waiting for your turn, waiting for your prints, etc. Hell, even the film processing booth in Walmart is the same. Are you going to spend 15 minutes driving home, fart around at home for 15 minutes, spend 15 more minutes driving back to the store, and then get your film ... or are you just going to shop around for an hour? The original loss leader was razors. They lose money selling the handle so cheap - but they make it back (and then some) selling the blades.

Interesting. I didn't know this. Is this the same for other portrait studios like JCpenney, Olan Mills...etc? They want you to shop while waiting your turn. I didn't do any shopping years ago, was more concerned with my kid crying, which my youngest did as a baby.

From what I hear, the photographers in those places aren't allowed to change the settings, even if they knew how.

Interesting. I didn't know this. Is this the same for other portrait studios like JCpenney, Olan Mills...etc? They want you to shop while waiting your turn. I didn't do any shopping years ago, was more concerned with my kid crying, which my youngest did as a baby.

I was at Disney World 2 years ago and we had our photo taken in front of the Castle at night when it was all lit up. A bit of a confusing lighting situation because you had to expose both for the Castle and you had to expose for the subjects (rear curtain sync). So, I went up to the fauxtog after the shot to "talk shop" and asked them what settings they were using and what type of camera. The guy shows me a sheet of paper with the detailed instructions on what settings to use (f/stop, shutter speed, WB, etc.) He had NO idea about photography. He was just the guy shooting the photos of the guests and was following directions given to him.

Oh my......

I am seriously going to walk in there and ask the photographer how much they know about the exposure triangle:lol: LOL, that still wouldn't seem to work, because you may be photographing a BIG man and then again a small baby...they must be shooting in auto.....
A bit cocky are we?

luvmyfamily said:
I don't care if this sounds silly, but I would like to know. So I was at WalMart today and as I was leaving, I passed the "portrait studio" on the way out, as I always do....saw their advertisement for a package for $7.99, 1 8x10, and some wallets or something like that. How is it that they can hire any John Doe off the street that knows nothing about photography to photograph people? Same with any portrait studio, JCPenny...etc. Back in the day, I had my kids pics taken in a studio like that, and the person taking the photo's didn't change settings or seem to know anything about photography. What are they doing? I am in Walmart about 3 times a week because we're always out of something. I thought about asking them, lol.....

My sister in law was the photographer at Wal-Mart for years - she has a DSLR that has never ever been taken off auto. At places like that the lighting doesn't change so the camera is usually set at what it needs to be!!

I am seriously going to walk in there and ask the photographer how much they know about the exposure triangle:lol: LOL, that still wouldn't seem to work, because you may be photographing a BIG man and then again a small baby...they must be shooting in auto.....
A bit cocky are we?

Did you read all of this before blurting that out? I said I felt bad, i didn't know they were paid so low.

A bit cocky are we?

Are you a little high strung?

It's a plug and play situation. Anyone can push a button but it takes skill to get great quality out of your clients. That's what I and many people on here strive for.

luvmyfamily said:
I don't care if this sounds silly, but I would like to know. So I was at WalMart today and as I was leaving, I passed the "portrait studio" on the way out, as I always do....saw their advertisement for a package for $7.99, 1 8x10, and some wallets or something like that. How is it that they can hire any John Doe off the street that knows nothing about photography to photograph people? Same with any portrait studio, JCPenny...etc. Back in the day, I had my kids pics taken in a studio like that, and the person taking the photo's didn't change settings or seem to know anything about photography. What are they doing? I am in Walmart about 3 times a week because we're always out of something. I thought about asking them, lol.....

My sister in law was the photographer at Wal-Mart for years - she has a DSLR that has never ever been taken off auto. At places like that the lighting doesn't change so the camera is usually set at what it needs to be!!

Thanks, I always wondered how they did it. I didn't know the workers were paid so low and I thought they would have to know some photography or be trained on photography. This is all new to me. I should have known from years ago when they told my son to "sit on the "X."

A bit cocky are we?

Nah, I just found it interesting that someone who doesn't know **** about photography, is laughing at someone trying to earn a paycheck, and joked about asking them if they understood the "photo triangle" when they themselves probably just got the grasp of it.

That's all.

It's called a "Loss Leader." They take a loss on it to make a profit elsewhere.
Exactly what I was going to say. The portrait studio inside Walmart likely loses money. They're hoping that you're going to go shopping while you're waiting for your turn, waiting for your prints, etc. Hell, even the film processing booth in Walmart is the same. Are you going to spend 15 minutes driving home, fart around at home for 15 minutes, spend 15 more minutes driving back to the store, and then get your film ... or are you just going to shop around for an hour? The original loss leader was razors. They lose money selling the handle so cheap - but they make it back (and then some) selling the blades.

From what I hear, the photographers in those places aren't allowed to change the settings, even if they knew how.

Why do you think you have to walk inside the store to get into the portrait studio? How hard would it really be for them to just add another door on the outside? And the film processing booth is typically right at the center of the store - optimizing your shopping opportunities.

They offer you a sweet deal - but they know that you're going to want more than that, and that you'd rather walk around and look at stuff than sit on a bench. While you're doing all that walking around, most people will find at least one thing they 'need' before they leave.

If the studio is INSIDE a STORE - it's only there to get YOU inside the store.

A bit cocky are we?

Nah, I just found it interesting that someone who doesn't know **** about photography, is laughing at someone trying to earn a paycheck, and joked about asking them if they understood the "photo triangle" when they themselves probably just got the grasp of it.

That's all.

That's all....great quote from The Devil wears Prada.....you know it all, yep, I'm a dumba$$..

Why do you think you have to walk inside the store to get into the portrait studio? How hard would it really be for them to just add another door on the outside? And the film processing booth is typically right at the center of the store - optimizing your shopping opportunities.

They offer you a sweet deal - but they know that you're going to want more than that, and that you'd rather walk around and look at stuff than sit on a bench. While you're doing all that walking around, most people will find at least one thing they 'need' before they leave.

If the studio is INSIDE a STORE - it's only there to get YOU inside the store.

This is why I asked :) Now....I know:)

Yeah,it's funny all the things said and all the things assumed.

I would have to agree, making fun of any one that gets up everyday and go to work and does their job...well, It's just not nice.

Then come the assumptions, It is NOT a loss leader for Walmart. In fact, It's not even run by Walmart. It run by Picture me, Whose parent company owns also, Sears Portrait Studios, Kandid Kiddies and Bella Picture; The Wedding Photography Chain.

I also think it's funny that people assume that low price businesses don't make money. Obvious that people don't know how businesses works. They are able to be profitable ( and they are profitable) by doing high volume a keeping costs low They do all their printing in house on Dye Sub Machines and have mostly part time employees)...which is also how WalMart operates and they obviously make money...In Fact last year the company had sales of 450 Million dollars...yes million.

Then it's kinda funny that some people here would think that studio shoot could be done in "Aut0" If you really knew photography, you would know you can't shoot with studio lights in Auto. But yes, the light levels from the strobes is adjusted and set, and the camera are set to the correct exposure for that lighting and left there.
So please don't look down your nose at people and assume things, Their per store sales are higher than most "pros' here.

Thank you and have a nice night...and BE nice

Their per store sales are higher than most "pros' here.
What's the 'photographers' cut? $10 an hour? What about benefits, 401k, etc...? (Doubt it, since, like you said, it's mostly part-time employees, which means they don't qualify for benefits.)

Most reactions

Back