How?

I do think that luvmyfamily was a insensitive, but how come it's wrong to pick on people who are not even here, but it's ok that so many "noobs" get nailed to the wall if they God forbid create a thread on how to help start their business. Wether theyre being premature or not, are they not still people trying to make a living like everyone else? Not speaking to those who gently tell them they need to learn more.

Say what?
You think it's OK to "pick on people who are not even here"? I don't understand.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure that I have never nailed a noob to the wall. I'm very bad with hammers, and tend to hit my own thumb instead.

I do think that luvmyfamily was a insensitive, but how come it's wrong to pick on people who are not even here, but it's ok that so many "noobs" get nailed to the wall if they God forbid create a thread on how to help start their business. Wether theyre being premature or not, are they not still people trying to make a living like everyone else? Not speaking to those who gently tell them they need to learn more.
Say what? You think it's OK to "pick on people who are not even here"? I don't understand.And for the record, I'm pretty sure that I have never nailed a noob to the wall. I'm very bad with hammers, and tend to hit my own thumb instead.
I just kinda find it kinda funny that people would give luvmyfamily a hard time for ragging on Walmart photographers when people constantly openly mock "facebook" and "Craigslist fauxtograpers" why is it acceptable to mock one set of people trying to make a living and not another? And this was in no way aimed at you. From what I've seen you've been nothing but nice :)

Last edited:

Say what?
You think it's OK to "pick on people who are not even here"? I don't understand.

And for the record, I'm pretty sure that I have never nailed a noob to the wall. I'm very bad with hammers, and tend to hit my own thumb instead.

For the last time, i would not really walk into a photo studio and ask that. I guess I should have said it instead of putting the joking smiley. Really??

My take on that whole noob thing.

I see it as being two fold.
On one hand you have supply and demand, so if people are willing to pay you for your services (however poor they may be), then why the heck not. You may be an F grade photographer, but someone apparently likes your awesomeness.
On the other you have photographers who probably see it as a bit disrespectful to assume you can just come into their field, the day you pick up your DSLR, with your selective coloring PS skills, and encroach on their market. Probably with better pricing (after you've asked here what it should be) due to less overhead, and lack of experience.
The pro will have to hope that the consumer will choose quality over price, but it doesn't always work out in their best interest.

I just kinda find it kinda funny that people would give luvmyfamily a hard time for ragging on Walmart photographers when people constantly openly mock "facebook" and "Craigslist fauxtograpers" why is it acceptable to mock one set of people trying to make a living and not another? And this was in no way aimed at you. From what I've seen you've been nothing but nice :)

You don't see a difference between someone trying to earn an honest, tax paying living and someone trying to rip both people and the government off?

Say what? You think it's OK to "pick on people who are not even here"? I don't understand.And for the record, I'm pretty sure that I have never nailed a noob to the wall. I'm very bad with hammers, and tend to hit my own thumb instead.
I just kinda find it ironic that people would give luvmyfamily a hard time for ragging on Walmart photographers when people constantly openly mock "facebook" and "Craigslist fauxtograpers" why is it acceptable to mock one person trying make a living and not another? And this was in no way aimed at you. From what I've seen you've been nothing but nice :)

Thanks for the compliment.
Mocking "facebook" etc photographers is different from what you said in your last post though. What I got from your earlier sentence about "how come its wrong to pick on people who are not even here" (bolding mine) - this reads as: "if they can't hear what I say, then I can say whatever snarky, mean or thoughtless thing I want to say". To me, that sort of attitude is thoughtless and can be very cruel. And, that is how I read the OP's posts, and therefore that is why I posted what I did. Normally I keep out of these types of threads, but this is something that pushes my ***** button.

That is very different from what you said about responding to new posters with new businesses, which by the way I sort of agree with.

You don't see a difference between someone trying to earn an honest, tax paying living and someone trying to rip both people and the government off?
How many people have you actually personally known on Craigslist that are ripping the government off? Do you actually know anyone who has done this, or is an assumption you've come up with based on what you've read here? There is no way to know I they're paying taxes or not. And I'd 99% of bad photographers have no idea that they're bad. Someone who charges too much out of ignorance is not quite the same thing as ripping someone off.

I just kinda find it ironic that people would give luvmyfamily a hard time for ragging on Walmart photographers when people constantly openly mock "facebook" and "Craigslist fauxtograpers" why is it acceptable to mock one person trying make a living and not another? And this was in no way aimed at you. From what I've seen you've been nothing but nice :)

... because they (Walmart Photographer employees) do not advertise themselves as Professional Custom Portrait Photographers.
There are people in this forum that mock "facebook" and "Craiglist" professional photographers because of what they say they are providing to clients ... not because they are trying to make a living.

Thanks for the compliment.Mocking "facebook" etc photographers is different from what you said in your last post though. What I got from your earlier sentence about "how come its wrong to pick on people who are not even here" (bolding mine) - this reads as: "if they can't hear what I say, then I can say whatever snarky, mean or thoughtless thing I want to say". To me, that sort of attitude is thoughtless and can be very cruel. And, that is how I read the OP's posts, and therefore that is why I posted what I did. Normally I keep out of these types of threads, but this is something that pushes my ***** button.That is very different from what you said about responding to new posters with new businesses, which by the way I sort of agree with.
Oh ok misunderstanding. When I said "people who aren't here" what I was trying to say was "why are people harping on luvmyfamily for bashing people who will never see it, but it's ok to bash people to their face here" I wasn't saying its ok to bash people behind their back. I was asking why it is seen as worse to mock someone who will never even see it, but acceptable on here to bash someone who will. Basically how can you claim to have regard for someone who isn't even here if you mock people right in front of you.

blackrose89 said:
Oh ok misunderstanding. When I said "people who aren't here" what I was trying to say was "why are people harping on luvmyfamily for bashing people who will never see it, but it's ok to bash people to their face here" I wasn't saying its ok to bash people behind their back. I was asking why it is seen as worse to mock someone who will never see it, but acceptable on here to bash someone who will.

But she wasn't bashing someone behind their back. She said, in jest, that she was going to their work and mock them. That's why people said something.

How many people have you actually personally known on Craigslist that are ripping the government off? Do you actually know anyone who has done this, or is an assumption you've come up with based on what you've read here? There is no way to know I they're paying taxes or not. And I'd 99% of bad photographers have no idea that they're bad. Someone who charges too much out of ignorance is not quite the same thing as ripping someone off.

I can think of 20 off the top of my head. I go to school with them. I know for sure because we've had discussions about it. I didn't pull any "facts" from what I've seen here. To add to that, I've only see a few who come here who are legit and not trolling, and they either buck up and take the advice and move forward, or they fight it tooth and nail that someone is telling them that they can't do something they want to do. Same attitudes of my classmates, btw.

OT kinda, are you drinking? There's a couple sentences in there that don't make sense.

^ Yea they pop up on here all the time. Just last week someone came on here that had just got their DSLR, posted advertisements on Facebook AND Craigslist (we were told this, we did not assume), were asking for help on their 'first gig' and they knew nothing about business or operating legitimately. There words were family members and friends thought I should be a professional so I just started chargin'! A lot of people also think that just because they claim their income on their federal tax return, they're all paid up. Well this completely neglects state tax and is still a Felony if you've collected payments that would result in more than $300/yr in sales tax.

HIPPO'ing over this, just wanted to give my experience.

I've worked in two "studios" and quit both for the same reason: what they do is not photography. They are retail stores with sales goals. Everything is preset; lighting, settings, auto-edits on computer. The only things you will learn in such a place is posing and how to sell craptastic photos to unsuspecting guests.

Its the same around the world. I don't think they are loss leaders though. They are mostly set up for baby and toddler photos, cheap enough to draw you in. It then all about Up selling. Extra one for Grand Parents? Any Godfathers? Discount if you buy a set.

Many people who are not photographer are happy if they can get a photograph that is better than they can take themselves. Its been going on for years and there is nothing wrong with it. See it as McDonalds for photography.

It's called a "Loss Leader." They take a loss on it to make a profit elsewhere.

The employee are trained in high pressure sales, not photography in any way. I have a student that I've been working with over about a year now who was a walmart photog. She thought "hey, this is easy!" and off on her own she went. When she got her camera she thought it was broken. Literally.
They cannot change anything in the studio. It's set up for them and they press the button. The only adjustment they can do to the camera is up and down and turning it a bit. That's it. Lighting is set up and they can move it a little, but that's it.
They're taught a bit about posing-the Wal Mart way and told to SELL the other things!!!

I will concur with the parrot - I have relative working in this capacity same co. Said relative knows absolutely nothing about photography and has no outside interest in photography but tells people she is a photographer. Paid very low, always at battle with manager about schedule (lack there of). Store uses a Canon 40D, not sure what lens. No adjustments allowed to exposure, - lighting never changes. They have a card that has mandatory settings to be checked before each session.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back