HS Basketball Reg. Season 08/09

TUX424

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Here are my 13 best photographs from the 2008/2009 season as the title states. I sure hope the bad photography voodu gets to me with 13 photographs.:lol:
This season was my first attempt at sport photography and i had a blast, it was so much fun getting to go to all of the games free of charge. Shooting Basketball has also spouted the need for a new lens that looks to be going along the line of a Nikon 85 f/1.8, im only in HS and i pay my own way when it comes to photography, keep that in mind if anyone wants to make any lens suggestion.
Non of the following photographs were shot in any of the "auto" modes, i shot them all in ether M,A,S (those are the only that i know and trust)
So any C&C are more then welcome, i was even thinking of maybe a job in some sort of photography.

DSC_5481CROP.jpg

DSC_5760Crop.jpg

DSC_5943Crop.jpg

DSC_5950Crop.jpg

DSC_6056Crop.jpg

DSC_6095Crop.jpg

DSC_6174Crop.jpg

DSC_6255Crop.jpg

DSC_6285Crop.jpg

DSC_6679Crop.jpg

DSC_6814Crop.jpg

DSC_6989Crop.jpg

HAHA Missing a #:lmao:
DSC_7088Crop.jpg

I like them, a couple are kind are dark but no big deal. the last one is especially nice.

I like them, a couple are kind are dark but no big deal. the last one is especially nice.
Some of the Gyms were better to shoot in then others, good thing our home gym is so nice.
Maybe if i had the 50 f/1.4 i would have gotten more keepers

Personally my favorite place to shoot from is underneath / behind the net. That's where I've found I get the best shots. Feel free to check out my flickr for some samples.

Personally my favorite place to shoot from is underneath / behind the net. That's where I've found I get the best shots. Feel free to check out my flickr for some samples.
What lens do u use to shoot the basketball games?

Agreed...But I'm lucky in my gym that the space under the basket is significant so I can get far enough back to get the players in the full frame with my 50mm F/1.8.

i think some are kinda dark and very noisy. they are also all out of focus.

What lens do u use to shoot the basketball games?

usually 50mm f1.8 but I've rented lenses a couple of times... nikkor 70-200 2.8 and nikkor 17-55 f2.8.

All of the ones on my flickr that were posted last month were the 17-55 f2.8 which I rented. I have a couple on there from when I was in high school. Those were 50mm f1.8.

p.s. what is your shutter speed set at?

i think some are kinda dark and very noisy. they are also all out of focus.
There ALL out of Focus?

usually 50mm f1.8 but I've rented lenses a couple of times... nikkor 70-200 2.8 and nikkor 17-55 f2.8.

All of the ones on my flickr that were posted last month were the 17-55 f2.8 which I rented. I have a couple on there from when I was in high school. Those were 50mm f1.8.

p.s. what is your shutter speed set at?
I was many shooting in Shutter Priority set to no lower then 320 and i like to keep my iso at around 800-1000

I'm well aware that most people don't like harsh criticism. But If your looking for your "best" work to receive the WOW factor, none of these shots cut it. The typical response is something like..."well, thats the effect I was looking for". If thats the case, then, your nailed your objective. If not, and you want sound criticism, then, this is mine.

The biggest problem with your images in my opinion is FACE. Sports have emotional, exaggerated, dramatic, all sorts of expressions. You failed to capture any of it. Shoot from under the net with a 35mm or 50mm @ 1.4/1.8 even 2. Look at where the pro's for the NBA sit. You think they cram in under the net and risk getting smashed by a 6'8" giant because they like it!

Use an 18% gray card for every different gym you visit, or shoot in RAW and make your adjustment that way. Some images have motion blur, try increasing your shutter speed to 400 minimum.

Crop or compose a little tighter.

I think #5 is your best shot, and the only reason why I say that is because it is correctly exposed and your subject is focused.

Vists the pages of SI and take a look. You'll soon see my point.

Good Luck.

Most reactions

Back