HS Basketball.

ronlane

What's next?
Reaction score
Website
www.lane-images.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My first attempt at basketball. I tried a few shots using my 28-135mm but with the variable aperture, I thought the images were dark. So I changed to my 70-200mm f/4L and did the best I could to capture action with it.

Here are some examples. I'm going to try to rent a 24-70mm f/2.8 and go try it again very soon.

1) f/4.0, 70mm, 1/500, ISO12,800

MWC-Owasso-15 by Lane Photo | Ron Lane, on Flickr

2) f/4.0, 91mm, 1/500, ISO6400

MWC-Owasso-9 by Lane Photo | Ron Lane, on Flickr

3) f/4.0, 70mm, 1/500, ISO12,800

MWC-Owasso-14 by Lane Photo | Ron Lane, on Flickr

On #1, I had no trouble filling the frame, lol. I feel like I needed a wider lens to show the height that he was jumping. On #2, the only thing that bothers me is the maintenance man in the background. If I crop to just the ball handler, I don't think it is as good. #3 is a technically good shot capturing the pass the the fast break but I cut off the back of his foot and I don't feel it would stand out on it's own.

Wondering how close to the action you were. I really like the first shot, but wish we could have seen the bottom of his feet and probably the floor to see how high he really jumped.

The others are they typical distracting backgrounds (as if you had control of the janitor or the guy drinking soda).

12,800 with the 7d? It actually did better than I would have thought. Is that Tamron 70-200 2.8 in the cards for you?

Thanks Jaca. On that first one, I was on maybe half way between the goal at the corner of the court.

Yeah, I know about the 12,800. While there is noise on them, I thought they are usable. If I go to a 70-200 2.8, it will be a Canon. (Most likely a used one.)

I think these are a miss because of the framing.
With better framing, the noise issue wouldn't be important.

16180567470_9e50b7f23f_clll.jpg

bballll.jpg

you can clean the noise up
a little

i-8xRwTTc-L.jpg

or a lot
i-HtQnvVC-L.jpg

Or even portrait for the first one.

16180567470_9e50b7f23f_b.jpg

Thanks for the comments. I see what you are all talking about. I am going to try to get to another game on Tuesday night. I have rented a 5D mk ii, so noise shouldn't be as much of an issue with it. I'll try to frame them in camera better with this next set.

Most reactions

Back