HUGE Windmill Project in Our Backyard!

Middlemarch

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.foothills.zenfolio.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
There is a windmill project going on in our backyard, literally. For quiet, little Lewis County, NY, this (along with the incoming WalMart - boo!) is quite a big deal. Tug Hill, north of Syracuse, is the site. We live about 2 miles away. When the willows in our backyard drop their leaves, we'll be able to see the tips of the windmill blades.

The turbine towers are 260'. Each blade is 130'. The first phase of construction includes 120 windmills. Another 100+ are planned for after the coming winter.

The area is divided. Everyone I've spoken to is very supportive of alternative energy. (The increased number of tourists itself is good for the local economy!) However, the main concerns are 1)how much the project will actually benefit the area economically, and 2)the eternal 'blight on the landscape'. Obviously, our greatest asset is our natural scenery.

I, too, am torn. It is amazing to watch them being built. I am even proud that this area is part of the leading edge of alternative energy sources. (I went to college near a nuclear plant. God, I hated that thing. And don't get me started on ANWR.)

At the same time, it is very disturbing to look at these things. Also, I wonder how long they last. How much maintenance is involved? Things I plan to look into. I suppose we'll get used to them in time. It might just take us country bumpkins a while.

Ok, onto the pics. The first is from the official website. www.mapleridgewind.com It is a projected view of the windmills.

wfmartinsburg2lo7ii.jpg

In this one, you can see another windmill going up in the background.

windmills3small2py.jpg

Here, you can see trucks near the base. You may have to squint. :confused:

windmills4small0nk.jpg

More windmills, more trucks.

windmills7small6pv.jpg

Windmills and cows.

windmills9small9vq.jpg

Not our house. I wonder if their property value went down. (Landowners are given $5000/year for each windmill on their property -- some are said to be making 50k.) Taken by my wife w/Olympus digi.

windmills11dsmall4nm.jpg

Finally, one of the backroads on Tug Hill. I didn't notice it at the time, but I like the 1/2 light, 1/2 dark thing going on. I just wanted to play around with perspective!

road1small4aj.jpg

Thanks for looking.
MM

Man they are incredible in size. A couple of hundred years from now people will view them like we view the windmills of holland. Enjoyed the pictures, narration and presentation. Thank you for showing us these pictures.

Another new yorker yes! THis is reaching potential meetup size :)

spike5003 said:
Another new yorker yes! THis is reaching potential meetup size :)

Absolutely. I am a bit jealous of the meetups in the UK, etc. Of course, I have little to offer, but would love the opportunity to pick some great photographers' brains. :hail:

Anyone else in the nearby Northeast?

MM

oh gosh it reminds me Germany :) there are thousands of windmills like those. And I'm glad that they are being built here too. Nice pics :)

Most reactions

Back