Hummingbird moth? and butterfly for cc

I think even on camera flash would help a bit.

Basically you want your shutter speed or flash duration to be about 1/1500. If it is a bright and sunny day then you can just use your shutter speed. If it is a darker day, then what you can do is bring in your flash (preferably off camera like a vivitar 285hv). All you have right now though is the one attached to your camera, this should be more than enough to capture the motion though as most flash durations of the built in variety are capable of just about peaking at 1/1000 or 1/1500.

Essentially set your shutter speed to the proper sync speed (1/200th for canon, 1/250 for nikon is generally accepted), then use the flash (this is basically your new shutter speed) to light the scene.

When all is said and done you should be able to stop the motion of the bird, but keep some minor blur in the wings for movement sake.

Hope this wasn't too confusing!

Confusing no, the light bulb just lit(pun intended)..makes perfect sense now, the flash becomes the shutter(so to speak) thanks....practis time

Flash will not stop the motion in the wings on all of these. Not a hummingbird moth, but Clearwing (which is the same familY) and wings moving just as fast....these were with flash. I got the stop motion to get the Moth in focus, but still have the blurred wings.

p454175292-4.jpg

p97565694-4.jpg

I completely agree that you want to have some motion blur in the wings....but that doesn't mean you can't use a flash...remember, you want motion blur in the wings, not the entire moth.

Pop up flash isn't bad and do some google searches on DIY diffusers for the popup flash. I've seen some impressive stuff with a popup and crazy homemade diffuser.

Oh, and what shmne said....that's basically how I shot these. 1/200th (my max flash sync) f/11-f/13 and used the flash to freeze him....his wings were fast enough to be blurred regardless of the flash being used.

thanks Nate,your photos always impress me,I will be Goggling this evening!

Most reactions

Back