Hummingbird

ajkramer87

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I went to a family outing and there was a hummingbird feeder. Before long one started coming around. I really was unprepaired for this. The only lens I had with me was my 50mm. Second one was the best I got. I like the first one because the tail feathers were spread open. So I learned that I will now keep my bag with me whenever I go away. Thanks for looking.

106.jpg

136.jpg

The problem with feeders is that, well, they're feeders. They don't look good in a photo.

This shot is shot about 2' above a feeder. Basically he's defending his territory.

Personally, I would try very hard to keep the feeder out of the photo.

The problem with feeders is that, well, they're feeders. They don't look good in a photo.

This shot is shot about 2' above a feeder. Basically he's defending his territory.

Personally, I would try very hard to keep the feeder out of the photo.

I agree the feeder isnt very nice looking but had I not taken the pictues at the feeder there would be no pictures at all. There was some flute type flowers but she didnt go anywhere near them.

Dangle the feeder from a broom stick.... have someone hold it and when the bird comes in to feed.... WHAM... jerk the feeder up and take the shot

Dangle the feeder from a broom stick.... have someone hold it and when the bird comes in to feed.... WHAM... jerk the feeder up and take the shot

Thats not a bad idea. Does it work? Wouldnt that scare them away. A few times when I lifted the camera to my eye she took off. Ill have to try that next time.

Ya, hummingbirds are defiantly not easy to shoot. Your best bet might be to set up multiple feeders and get multiple families in your yard so you have more chances to photograph them. :)

Greatness! What a great picture in my head. I could see my wife holding the broom stick while I was fumbling with the camera trying to get the shot. :lmao:

Thats not a bad idea. Does it work? Wouldnt that scare them away. A few times when I lifted the camera to my eye she took off. Ill have to try that next time.

I was joking...:lmao: But if you are going to try it... get it on video, I'd love to see that on YouTube. :thumbup:

I was joking...:lmao: But if you are going to try it... get it on video, I'd love to see that on YouTube. :thumbup:

Thank god. There is no way I could get my wife to hold a broom stick with a bird feeder tied to the end of it. That would be pretty funny to see though.

you could try getting the bird as they approach the feeder like in the first shot. When I took pictures at the feeder I tried to shoot so the feeder was on one side of the frame, then I just cropped it out later.

I am new at this though so really don't know if thats a practical idea or not. I had my own issues with the hummingbirds! :greenpbl:

you could try getting the bird as they approach the feeder like in the first shot. When I took pictures at the feeder I tried to shoot so the feeder was on one side of the frame, then I just cropped it out later.

I am new at this though so really don't know if thats a practical idea or not. I had my own issues with the hummingbirds! :greenpbl:

I tried but got some OoF shots. These are all ready pretty croped since all I had was my 50mm lens that day. The one where it is coming in to the feeder was just dumb luck. It was going back and forth to the feeder so I was just doing some rapid shooting. Next time I will stand on the other side of the feeder to keep it out of the shot. Thanks for the advice

Most reactions

New Topics

Back