Hummingbirds

Thanks for all the generous comments everybody!

Eric. said:
I love them! Great captures! What shutterspeed are these in around! Good shooting!

I don't have my EXIF data with me right now as i am at work, but i tried a variety of different settings. I like the shots with the dark backgrounds best, and those were taken with a flash at 1/250 F4.0 or similar around dusk.

I am surprised the flash would stop the wings. The birds were only a foot or two from the lens, maybe that helped. I setup the tripod near the feeder and shot back into the forest (which became the dark brown, almost black background) and used a cable release anytime one came close to my focusing distance.

Shutterspeeds on my other shots during the day ranged from 1/1000 to 1/6400.

Very nice. I've been playing with the hummer's all year here too. Freezing the wings totally is very difficult as I've learned but you did a really great job of it.

I believe the orange ones we have here are called Allen's Hummingbirds. The other orange one's are Roufus as someone mentioned, one of them has a very metallic sound come off their wings as they fly. Can't remember which though. Our orange ones are very skittish and aggressive also, good thing we also have some Anna's Hummingbird's that are great subjects and not too fearful :)

Most reactions

Back