Hyperfocal focusing question

Call me naive but WHY are you wanting this, for nature action or ? I am usually looking for the thinnest DOF that I can use and yet have my subject in complete focus :D

It's for landscape photography, where the SUBJECT is EVERYTHING in the frame. :)

I see. Hmm, I just use F8-F11 and shoot away :D

This photo of yours, you see how the bottom of the frame the seaweed and rocks are out of focus? If you used hyperfocal focusing, they would be ultra sharp, like the rest of the photo.

F8, focus a 3rd of the way through the frame. Boom! usable sharpness.

I don't usually get too serious about it unless I'm shooting long exposure. There's always reasons to nit pic it, but if you're not getting payed to shoot it try not to over think it.

This leads to the "2 F's" of photography. Fun.....or Frustration. lol.

I don't usually get too serious about it unless I'm shooting long exposure. There's always reasons to nit pic it, but if you're not getting payed to shoot it try not to over think it.

Do you use auto focus or manual? It's all gotta be fun man, that's the point! For me, fun is when I get a really sharp frame, from front to back! :) I don't have fun when parts are out of focus that I want in focus...

Do you use auto focus or manual? It's all gotta be fun man, that's the point! For me, fun is when I get a really sharp frame, from front to back! :) I don't have fun when parts are out of focus that I want in focus...

I'll use auto-focus 90 percent of the time with the F-8 1/3 scene. Manual focus has it's place in some though. There has to be a specific reason for me to do it though. separate subjects in the scene for example. In any scene you take there's an intended focal point. That's why you'll hear a lot of people say "usable/acceptable sharpness"

It's never a bad idea to know how to achieve a true hyper focus though. Look forward to seeing your work.

Call me naive but WHY are you wanting this, for nature action or ? I am usually looking for the thinnest DOF that I can use and yet have my subject in complete focus :D

It's for landscape photography, where the SUBJECT is EVERYTHING in the frame. :)

This photo of yours, you see how the bottom of the frame the seaweed and rocks are out of focus? If you used hyperfocal focusing, they would be ultra sharp, like the rest of the photo.

I don't see any out of focus? Bottom of the frame looks tack sharp to me! BTW that's a composite, HDR

I don't see any out of focus? Bottom of the frame looks tack sharp to me! BTW that's a composite, HDR

Really? I don't know what to say, maybe see an eye doctor?

Most reactions

Back