I am attempting to buy a new camera

Kpowers

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I am trying to decide between the Nikon d5300 or the D7100. I am only leaning towards the D5300 so I will have more money to buy various lenses. I currently do engagement shots and senior photos. So I need info on what to get for weddings and overall better photography.
I currently have a 50mm 1:1.8 G Lens and55-200mm 1:4-5.6g. I have read a ton on a million different lenses, but I am not sure which one would be helpful towards what I already have.

In the Nikon offer I can get a kit set with both the d5300 and d7100. the choice between a 18-105mm or the 81-140mm. Not sure if those lens are worth getting or if I should save my money for a better lens.

Kendra

What camera do you currently own and why do you feel the need to upgrade it specifically?

I have the nikon d40. I have had it since I was 19 years old and I am 25 years old now...assuming it is time. Also I am attempting to become a small business photographer :) for portraits and weddings.

In the Nikon offer I can get a kit set with both the d5300 and d7100.
That sounds kinda redundant, IMO. Why two bodies? I think you need only one, so pick one and go with that.

Sorry I must have not explained that well. I only want one. I want the d5300 or the d7100 I just cant decide which would be more beneficial. What i meant by the offer was, If i buy one of those camera I get the option of including a new lens (18-105mm or the 18-140mm) not sure if those lenses would be worth the extra money. Or if i should be investing in an entire new lens

I currently do engagement shots and senior photos. So I need info on what to get for weddings and overall better photography.
How did we jump from engagement shots to weddings?

Sorry I must have not explained that well. I only want one. I want the d5300 or the d7100 I just cant decide which would be more beneficial. What i meant by the offer was, If i buy one of those camera I get the option of including a new lens (18-105mm or the 18-140mm) not sure if those lenses would be worth the extra money. Or if i should be investing in an entire new lens
Oh.

How much for just the body? If you have a price for just a body, and then negotiate for a lens, what all can you get for what price?

Sorry I must have not explained that well. I only want one. I want the d5300 or the d7100 I just cant decide which would be more beneficial.

Gee I don't know how to explain it any better, but the higher the model number, the better the camera. So I recommend the D7100.

D5300 with 1 of those lens is 796.95. without is 696.95
d7100 with 1 if those lens is 1296.95. without is 996.95

Although the D40 is a very dated camera, are you being limited by it's performance in anyway? Is it directly affecting your photography? Are you needing something better in low light because you can't get the shots you need or printing large images for clients and require a better resolution?

Do you work mostly outdoors or indoors with additional lighting?

Better low light and higher resolution are both things I am interested in. It works great I just wanted to upgrade and use my d40 as my backup camera. I am assuming I will get the d7100 but I am struggling with deciding on a lens that would be beneficial with the 2 I already have. :)

I usually work outdoors so its not a problem. but I know I will be working indoors soon so better camera and lens would help

The 5300 has marginally better low light performance but not enough to make it stand out over the D7100. The main reason to go for the latter is the superior AF system and the fact it will autofocus with older AF-D lenses, giving you much more lens wise. It also has dual card slots allowing you to write to both simultaneous to safeguard against one corrupting and losing all the images from a shoot.

If low light is going to be an issue, then I'd look at the D600/D61o if your budget will stretch that far. Alternatively you might find a low shutter count D700 on eBay. Full frame offers significant improvements in lowlight compared to AF-C bodies.

I had the D60 when I upgrade to the D7000, it was the best decision I ever made. The D60 was terrible at ISO..lucky if you could get any usable shots above ISO 800. I can only imagine the D40 being the same..wow, I still remember the D40 being sold. Cameras have improved so much since then, it is absolutely incredible.

Either camera you get, it will be a major improvement to what you already have.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back