I Am Sooo Confused!!!

Teresa Schriber

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am shooting a subject in front of a white background using auto mode, the subject is exposed perfectly with just the right amounts of highlights and shadows but my white background turns dull gray (even though the white areas on the subject are perfect). I tried switching to Aperture Priority mode and several different settings. If I get a nice bright white background, my subject gets blown out or overexposed. What do I need to do to get a nice bright white background without loosing shadow details in my subject

I think you need to have a light just on the background too. I don't know for sure since I haven't tried anything like that myself, but that would be my guess. Curious to know the answer from someone that actually knows....

Ajay is right, you need to have a background light. You need to light both the subject and the background if you want it to come out that way. Either that or you can shoot two shots, one metered for the background and one metered for the subject and then combine them in photoshop.

Most reactions

Back