I am thinking of buying something...

I would invest in an SLR camera before going any further. If you are going to stick with photography, you are going to ultimately get one anyway. Plus having higher picture quality and more tools at your disposal to get the picture the way you see it in your head, will inspire, and encourage you to keep going with photography. Normally I would say upgrade the glass first, but any adapters on your Point and Shoot is still going to give you Point and Shoot image quality. You could get a cheap SLR body, like a Rebel XS or something like that ( I think the Nikon d3000 is similar, but I could be wrong ) Get just the body and then buy a wide angle lens like a 10-24 if you want that wide angle. You would probably want something else ( even a kit lens, just to get a little more distance for more everyday type shooting.

And you do not need a full frame to get really wide shots. Thats nonsense. A sigma 8mm is going to be wide no matter what you are shooting on. Sure it won't be AS WIDE, but it will be wide enough.

not rubbish re a wide angle. i said you wont get FULL benefit with a crop factor. Weh i think wide angle i am thinking 10-20mm. which is an expensive bit of kit. i have a 18-55, which i wouldnt call wide.

check used if you dont wanna spend a fortune.
keh.com
adorama.com
both have great prices on used gear, and they have a good reputation.

Thanks so much for the recommendation which is very much appreciated.

BTW please don't forget that we are in the midst of our Fall holiday period.

Our Holiday Schedule:

Yom Kippur Eve - Friday, September 17: Closed
Succot Eve & all of Succot - Wednesday, September 22 thru Friday, October 1: Closed

Thank you for your understanding.

NB if you ever need advice or after-sales support with an order from Adorama Camera, I'm only an email away: [email protected]

Helen Oster
Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador

Most reactions

Back