I am trying to understand landscape photos..so i took a couple

I wore out the std lens on my old Pentax k1000. The clicks for the f stops were more like minor humps.
Mind you I was using five meters of film a day min. Back when I was a teenager Lol
And before anyone asks YES I did film the building of the Ark
wow

For your review... walked the woods.. just some tips would be awesome.. thank you
I can't read all 8 pages, so someone has probably already mentioned this. If not ...

Both photos need a subject. A focal point. Something to tell why you took the picture. I know the feeling of being out there and feeling so good and happy that you want to put it in the shot. But your viewer isn't there and doesn't have that same joy of being outdoors. They need help.

The first one could use a doe/fawn in the foreground or something. Even get low and wait patiently until a gopher pops up out of his burrow. That would be a real novelty. A playful approach will produce more unique and memorable photos than a conventional approach. (Ask me about my duck photo. :) )

The second one has real potential. But it really needs a buck with a nice rack peeking out from behind a tree. Or something with a bit of red. You could put your kid in it, peeking from behind a tree if you like photos of children. Or a bride if you aspire to wedding photography or a hunter or an under-dressed woman if that's your style. (Or an under dressed bride in camo.) Etc. It's a great background with a real mood, but it needs a subject.

Hello, One thing I never see mentioned that happened to me is that when you use a zooming lens you should take care not to operate the zoom in a dusty environment, I attended a flat track motorcycle race one day with my Canon 75 to 300 and completely dusted the inside of the lens. I never considered it but when you zoom the lens out it has to take in air just like a bellows works. If you use the zoom a lot (like I did) you can end up with a load of dust inside your lens.
OMP

Hello, One thing I never see mentioned that happened to me is that when you use a zooming lens you should take care not to operate the zoom in a dusty environment, I attended a flat track motorcycle race one day with my Canon 75 to 300 and completely dusted the inside of the lens. I never considered it but when you zoom the lens out it has to take in air just like a bellows works. If you use the zoom a lot (like I did) you can end up with a load of dust inside your lens.
OMP

not all zooms are the same, some have all the moving parts built into the lens so when they move all movement is inside the housing with only the air inside the lens moving, but yes the zoom lens that get longer do indeed suck air in, the more pro type lens do have better dust prevention than the cheaper non pro glass.

For your review... walked the woods.. just some tips would be awesome.. thank you
I can't read all 8 pages, so someone has probably already mentioned this. If not ...

Both photos need a subject. A focal point. Something to tell why you took the picture. I know the feeling of being out there and feeling so good and happy that you want to put it in the shot. But your viewer isn't there and doesn't have that same joy of being outdoors. They need help.

The first one could use a doe/fawn in the foreground or something. Even get low and wait patiently until a gopher pops up out of his burrow. That would be a real novelty. A playful approach will produce more unique and memorable photos than a conventional approach. (Ask me about my duck photo. :) )

The second one has real potential. But it really needs a buck with a nice rack peeking out from behind a tree. Or something with a bit of red. You could put your kid in it, peeking from behind a tree if you like photos of children. Or a bride if you aspire to wedding photography or a hunter or an under-dressed woman if that's your style. (Or an under dressed bride in camo.) Etc. It's a great background with a real mood, but it needs a subject.
Great ideas and you made it so easy for me to realize..and now i have to ask you about the duck?? thanks very much for making it all easier to understand

OMP
wow thanks for this information..i will remember it always, sorry you had this happen..

A polly bag round the lens held at the body with an elastic band same onto the filter .
You still get full functionality but a lot less dust.

OMP
wow thanks for this information..i will remember it always, sorry you had this happen..

The lens that had this happen to it was a Canon EF 18 to 135 and is not the most expensive lens but it ain't cheap either at about $400 so if you are confronted by dusty conditions move the zoom very slowly to minimize the intake of dust.

Just had a quick look through the pages here, but I`d also say Look at how the light falls on to the trees and ground, plus watch the shadows too. I tried landscape once but did not like it, reason why was User error ( ME ) I will try again as I`m only a bus ride away from the beautiful Sussex South Downs.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back