I blinked

Gospelflier

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi. I have a Nikon d5100 and a Nikkor 18-55 lens. When my husband took photos of me, I had my eyes closed in every one. I tried upping the ISO speed to 400 but I kept blinking faster than the shutter could go off. Finally, I turned off the flash and used natural light. No more eyes closed!

Would it help if I bought an external flash or something along that line? Or am I just a freak of nature? lol

Your husband was using TTL flash, wasn't he? TTL flash does a pre-flash to measure exposure... and many people (and pets) are sensitive to this. Put the flash in manual, and the problem will go away! Or use a flash value lock setting assigned to the FN button to pre-fire (pre-measure) the exposure.. and then shoot.

External flash is ALWAYS better than the little pop-up flash.. which is famous for hard light and hard shadows.

And Manual flash is always more accurate than TTL is....

I tried upping the ISO speed to 400 but I kept blinking faster than the shutter could go off.
I hope you mean you upped the shutter speed. Upping your ISO does not mean the camera works faster.

No just raise the ISO some more. At some point the camera just HAS to react faster than you can blink.

Sarcasm is not always helpful... especially when it confused people! You and both know you were being sarcastic, and that raising the ISO or the shutter speed will not help the OP, but apparently it confused someone else.

I tried upping the ISO speed to 400 but I kept blinking faster than the shutter could go off.
I hope you mean you upped the shutter speed. Upping your ISO does not mean the camera works faster.

Depends on how you have the camera set! In aperture priority, raising the ISO would also increase shutter speed, correct?

But that still would not help the OP.. so it is irrelevant!

The other option is to keep your eyes closed whilst measuring exposure and then open your eyes a second before the photo is taken.?

Correct font for sarcasm: Comic sans

Couldn't the OP's husband just achieve focus, wait...and then press all the way down? That is if they have no desire to go further than happy snaps.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

vtf said:

Wasn't being sarcastic. Just a sure fire way to get everyone with open eyes as they should not need to blink immediately after opening their eyes.......

vtf said:

Wasn't being sarcastic. Just a sure fire way to get everyone with open eyes as they should not need to blink immediately after opening their eyes.......

If it is the preflash causing the blink.. as it often is, then the subject will normally blink no matter what... it is a reaction to the flash, not the typical cleaning / lubrication blink.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back