I did it, got an a6300

..........So I am sorry for asking again but I am not sure I got the answer I was looking for, did you get any overheating with the a6300 when using external battery or this solved the problem for you ?

It doesn't completely eliminate overheating. But it sure cuts it down enough that you can at least get more than a minute or two of recording in.
Well that's good to know

Another option is to bring an assistance with a big palm tree leaf to fan the camera like they used to fan kings in the middle east back in the old days :allteeth:

........Another option is to bring an assistance with a big palm tree leaf to fan the camera like they used to fan kings in the middle east back in the old days :allteeth:

Like a modern voice-actuated modifer holder? :allteeth:

I really want the a9, but unless the decimal places moves to the left it ain't gonna happen LOL
Really? I've read banding and overheating is a real problem.

The over heating isn't an issue. It's one guys camera that had the problem, there's been many reviews and overheating tests after in much worse environments and no issue at all. More than likely a faulty unit.

Banding is still to be proven with so many reviews and images saying it doesn't have banding. But even if it does just turn electronic shutter off in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using ThePhotoForum.com mobile app

I really want the a9, but unless the decimal places moves to the left it ain't gonna happen LOL
Buying the A9 is not the only problem, buying it and all the native lenses you will need is the problem because they are even more expensive.
So far no third party company works as well as native Sony lenses on their e mount cameras.
So buying the A9 and adding to that 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 and maybe 2 primes and you are now looking at a 10K investment and that's crazy.

Depends what your using them for. It's not that crazy. A builder would have more value than that in the back of his van. 10k for tools for a photographer isn't a lot.

The over heating isn't an issue. It's one guys camera that had the problem, there's been many reviews and overheating tests after in much worse environments and no issue at all. More than likely a faulty unit............

This is like saying the D600 didn't suffer from oil on the sensor..... it was just a few faulty cameras.

The over heating isn't an issue. It's one guys camera that had the problem, there's been many reviews and overheating tests after in much worse environments and no issue at all. More than likely a faulty unit............

This is like saying the D600 didn't suffer from oil on the sensor..... it was just a few faulty cameras.

Lol no it's not. Unless ts a bulk recall, which is unlikely at this stage.

This ONE case of it over heating in all the thousands of cameras already out there.

The D600 was built wrong and they ALL suffered from it.

Um..... no they didn't.

I own 3 of them and none of them had the issue.

Buying the A9 is not the only problem, buying it and all the native lenses you will need is the problem because they are even more expensive.
So far no third party company works as well as native Sony lenses on their e mount cameras.
So buying the A9 and adding to that 24-70mm 2.8, 70-200mm 2.8 and maybe 2 primes and you are now looking at a 10K investment and that's crazy.

Depends what your using them for. It's not that crazy. A builder would have more value than that in the back of his van. 10k for tools for a photographer isn't a lot.

It all depends on lots of factor and hard to unswear it.
Today you can buy a perfectly good wedding kit for relatively so little
D610 or 6D
Tamron 24-70mm 2.8
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
50mm 1.8
Should be around 4k-5K or almost half if bought used.
In hands of a good pro such a set will bring results just as good as an A9
So its complicated :)

D610 or 6D
Tamron 24-70mm 2.8
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
50mm 1.8

For me I ordered the A9, mostly for the focus joystick, dual slots, focus and lower megapixels. I love my R2 but it's too much for weddings (42mp)

Plus for someone like my self shooting 40 weddings a season, these cameras just make my life easier. Of course I can do them with a D610, hell even a couple of F100's would do me.

But yes. Sony make my life easy. I don't miss my Nikon kit at all.

Different strokes for different folks.

D610 or 6D
Tamron 24-70mm 2.8
Tamron 70-200mm 2.8
50mm 1.8

For me I ordered the A9, mostly for the focus joystick, dual slots, focus and lower megapixels. I love my R2 but it's too much for weddings (42mp)

Plus for someone like my self shooting 40 weddings a season, these cameras just make my life easier. Of course I can do them with a D610, hell even a couple of F100's would do me.

But yes. Sony make my life easy. I don't miss my Nikon kit at all.

Different strokes for different folks.

Then that's all that matter, if you are happy and find this tool (A9) helping you then that's it :)

What keeps me away for now going fully with Sony is the lenses, they are so expensive and you simply have no third party offering, Sigma has very few APS-C for my a6300 and their AF sucks compared to native lenses.
Once I can get same AF off all the lenses I need for my work to work with a Sony body then Sony will be a valid choice for me but since I am totally invested in Nikon and find the 24-70mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 Sony G master insanely expensive and I can get for half the price a new Tamron to work on my Nikon I just don't see a way to completely move to Sony.
Once Tamron and Sigma make their lenses totally reliable on e-mount Sony I will see where I am going with my gear.

..............What keeps me away for now going fully with Sony is the lenses, they are so expensive and you simply have no third party offering, Sigma has very few APS-C for my a6300 and their AF sucks compared to native lenses..................

If losting AF isn't a big deal, you can always adapt most lenses as the FFL is very small.

..............What keeps me away for now going fully with Sony is the lenses, they are so expensive and you simply have no third party offering, Sigma has very few APS-C for my a6300 and their AF sucks compared to native lenses..................

If losting AF isn't a big deal, you can always adapt most lenses as the FFL is very small.
AF is a big deal in video for me or else I would still have the Panasonic G7

COOL! Glad to hear that you went with the leading sensor-maker's A6300 camera model! I sure look forward to hearing your comments on this camera.

my a6000 has actually been a little disappointing. I just spent another week with it, and was actually more happy with some of the shots from my Pixel phone...maybe my D610 sensor and glass has just spoiled me.

Not sure if it's just due to the stock lens, but I have to process the files heavily in most cases to make them look somewhat decent; it's rare that a shot looks good SOOC. Really lacks tonal and color range w/ little recovery. Poor color saturation and and overall green/yellow hue to the images -- I bump contrast, clarity, vibrancy, and saturation heavily and then have to de-saturate the yellows back down. I have lots of trouble just white balancing normal scenes -- it gets old fast. And It really falls apart in darker scenes above 3200 ISO.

here's a good comparison:

a6000_vs_pixel.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back