I did the assignment anyway :)

unpopular said:
$300/credit?? At a community college?? You were paying more for one class than my wife was full time at Casper (WY) College without any scholarships!

Man. I'm starting to see why people love Halliberton, BP and Sinclare so much in that state.

Actually it's more like 214.00/credit for a regular student at the community college. I pay 300/credit because I go to a regular 4 yr college that is about a 4 hour drive so I take the classes that I can at the community college. For out of state students it's like 430.00/credit

Ballistics said:
Tuition Assistance - As I have said twice now, non-matriculated students are considered General Studies which is considered Liberal Arts. I took 1 class and received TA.

So technically you were a matriculating student who was under a liberal arts degree program. Non-matriculating students don't qualify for financial aid and are not working towards a degree.

You can call it what you want. I've been to 2 colleges now, did not declare a major and received financial aid.

150.00? You do realize that it varies school to school? Local community college around me charges over 300.00 per credit - photography course is 3 credits - with a 150.00 lab fee.

You do understand what "At an average" means right? Meaning that it can cost more and it can cost less. My lab fee for 2 semesters is $50.

$300 a credit for a 3rd or 4th year student maybe. My school is $167 a credit which is a dollar more than the Fashion Institute of Technology which has some great photography classes.
Oakton Community College which is about 20 minutes north of chicago is $90 a credit. $150 for a class may be on the low side, but it was just a guesstimate. $900 for a course however is ridiculous.

unpopular said:
$300/credit?? At a community college?? You were paying more for one class than my wife was full time at Casper (WY) College without any scholarships!

Man. I'm starting to see why people love Halliberton, BP and Sinclare so much in that state.

Actually it's more like 214.00/credit for a regular student at the community college. I pay 300/credit because I go to a regular 4 yr college that is about a 4 hour drive so I take the classes that I can at the community college. For out of state students it's like 430.00/credit

Now you are talking something completely different. What school do you go to that is 214 dollars for an instate student?

Ballistics said:
Now you are talking something completely different. What school do you go to that is 214 dollars for an instate student?

214/credit for the community college of Vermont - how is that any different then what your talking about?

Ballistics said:

214/credit for the community college of Vermont - how is that any different then what your talking about?

It's the difference of $270 vs $645 and also the difference between instate and out of state tuition, and you said $300 a credit making my $50 a credit claim seem nuts, meanwhile there are colleges that literally charge $40-70 per credit depending on the conditions. We're talking about 1 class at a community college. If she lives near chicago, there are 3 or 4 community colleges in that area that offer photography courses at around $90 a credit. When I lived in philly, the community college I went to was 65 dollars a credit. Now it's $99.

Ballistics said:
You can call it what you want. I've been to 2 colleges now, did not declare a major and received financial aid.

You do understand what "At an average" means right? Meaning that it can cost more and it can cost less. My lab fee for 2 semesters is $50.

$300 a credit for a 3rd or 4th year student maybe. My school is $167 a credit which is a dollar more than the Fashion Institute of Technology which has some great photography classes.
Oakton Community College which is about 20 minutes north of chicago is $90 a credit. $150 for a class may be on the low side, but it was just a guesstimate. $900 for a course however is ridiculous.

Community colleges are usually 2yr schools and I've been to 3 colleges and have never charged a different rate because of what year I was in.

I do know what on average means. But you are still incorrect. You still tell someone that on average a photography course costs 150.00 - unless you actually know that. My whole point is that it varies depending on geographical location. That's like saying the average cost of a year of college costs 1000.00.

Photography course may cost you 150.00 but someone in the next state over might pay 600.00 for it.

Ballistics said:
It's the difference of $270 vs $645 and also the difference between instate and out of state tuition, and you said $300 a credit making my $50 a credit claim seem nuts, meanwhile there are colleges that literally charge $40-70 per credit depending on the conditions. We're talking about 1 class at a community college. If she lives near chicago, there are 3 or 4 community colleges in that area that offer photography courses at around $90 a credit. When I lived in philly, the community college I went to was 65 dollars a credit. Now it's $99.

That's not any different. We are talking about community colleges right? It doesn't make your claim of 50/credit seem anything different then what I said to begin with - it varies depending on where you live.

unpopular said:

The base tuition at my wife's school is $21k/yr, but nobody actually pays that. I think it works out to around $400/cr if you transfer in or have a highschool GPA of 3.5 or higher. My wife complains about all the dumb students, but she needs to remember they're paying half her tuition.

Which is quite a shock coming from a petro-funded community college paying in-state tuition. But also don't forget that many schools charge WAY less for non-degree seekers who audit.

HEY GUISE LETS ARGUE ABOUT COLLEGE K?

Ballistics said:

Community colleges are usually 2yr schools and I've been to 3 colleges and have never charged a different rate because of what year I was in.

I do know what on average means. But you are still incorrect. You still tell someone that on average a photography course costs 150.00 - unless you actually know that. My whole point is that it varies depending on geographical location. That's like saying the average cost of a year of college costs 1000.00.

Photography course may cost you 150.00 but someone in the next state over might pay 600.00 for it.
It's not geographical, it's based on the cost of a credit for each individual school. As we all know an Ivy League school is going to be higher, whereas a community college is less. Then there are lab fees that may be associated with a course and admin fees associated with enrolling period. Obviously those fees are different if you are a part time student vs a full time student.
In state tuition and out of state tuition are a factor and many schools that are in border towns or close to it will have a "special" for students from that other state too...
So... what costs you $150 for the course at a local community college may run you $200 at a state school in the same town. All of which also get the fees associated with being a student.
$900 for a course is believable if it is a HIGH credit course-more than 3; expensive school-be it Ivy League or private college or whatever-and if there are large lab and book fees to go with it. It's NOT going to be a normal course. Aviation? Something that is a whole lot different than a basic business, English, photography course.

For the community college here it's an average of $212 per 3 credit course with books and fees included or roughly $2700 per semester for full time with the additional fees and books. When all is said and done with state and financial aid my husband usually nets back about $1000 to $1500. He then also has the GI bill which pays additional BAH per month while he is attending.

All schools by law are required to provide a "net price" calculator so that students can research the costs associated with attending and you should be able to find it in the school's website. It calculates ALL of the costs including your housing, etc. with your dependents.

Good lord. Aviation fees are CRAZY. Lo's school offers a BS in Aviation Engineering, like $20k/year in FEES on top of tuition. All so you can fly around in circles over town.

unpopular said:
The base tuition at my wife's school is $21k/yr, but nobody actually pays that. I think it works out to around $400/cr if you transfer in or have a highschool GPA of 3.5 or higher.

Which is quite a shock coming from a petro-funded community college paying in-state tuition. But also don't forget that many schools charge WAY less for non-degree seekers who audit.

Yeah tuition at my school for in-state students full-time is only like 8,568. I only end up paying around 5,000 for full-time beside I'm not a full-time on campus student. I can take classes at the community college (any Vermont college actually) and I usually take these stupid classes that are once a month, 8 hour classes for five months.

I think that Vermont is pretty expensive. University of Vermont's law program costs about the same as Cornell - which I don't completely understand. MSU-Billings is like $5500/year, in state, but I think MSU-Bozeman is more, and I know that University of Montana is more. But still, not much more.

MLeeK said:
It's not geographical, it's based on the cost of a credit for each individual school. As we all know an Ivy League school is going to be higher, whereas a community college is less. Then there are lab fees that may be associated with a course and admin fees associated with enrolling period. Obviously those fees are different if you are a part time student vs a full time student.
In state tuition and out of state tuition are a factor and many schools that are in border towns or close to it will have a "special" for students from that other state too...
So... what costs you $150 for the course at a local community college may run you $200 at a state school in the same town. All of which also get the fees associated with being a student.
$900 for a course is believable if it is a HIGH credit course-more than 3; expensive school-be it Ivy League or private college or whatever-and if there are large lab and book fees to go with it. It's NOT going to be a normal course. Aviation? Something that is a whole lot different than a basic business, English, photography course.

For the community college here it's an average of $212 per 3 credit course with books and fees included or roughly $2700 per semester for full time with the additional fees and books. When all is said and done with state and financial aid my husband usually nets back about $1000 to $1500. He then also has the GI bill which pays additional BAH per month while he is attending.

All schools by law are required to provide a "net price" calculator so that students can research the costs associated with attending and you should be able to find it in the school's website. It calculates ALL of the costs including your housing, etc. with your dependents.

We aren't talking about ivy league schools. We are talking about community colleges. They do vary individually and geographically. Like I said the community college of Vermont is 214.00 a credit NOT including fees. It's for ALL classes. 4 credits course are 214/credit. I pay 300.00+ to take classes at the community college because I am a student at another college. It's called convenience.

No matter which way you look at it - the community college in my state charges over 600.00 for any course. Once again it varies.

http://www.ccv.edu/tuition

If the tuition is around $5k/year, full time, about $200/cr is about right. That works out to about $2400/sem at 12cr/sem.

Casper College costed like $900/sem due to income from the energy industry, and is likely WAY lower than most community colleges in states without these resources. The State of Wyoming has just BUCKETS of money and only one University (the state constitution prevents more than just one). So there is a lot of funding that goes to these community colleges ... that and road construction.

Most reactions

Back