I did the assignment anyway :)

Sure it does.My wife received full financial aid for a 10 month cosmetology school.
No. The OP is right. You cannot get US federal financial aid unless you are more than 1/4 time and a declared student (you have a declared major) at an accredited college, university or trade program. It also would nt make sense to enroll in college for federal aid unless you plan to graduate as it can screw up your eligibility later on.

This is wrong completely. I'm living proof. I completed 2 semesters as a non-matriculated student, I literally just declared a major like 3 weeks go. All non-matriculated students are classified under general studies anyway. I applied for financial aid in April of 2011 and was approved in May of 2011 as a non-matriculated student. Furthermore, my local BOCES offers courses like photography which can be covered by TA. I did it myself. I applied for and was approved for a welding course, but was never able to attend. You don't have to "plan" to do anything when you enroll in college. People attend community colleges all the time, stop going, and then go back later and have no complications.

Taking it a step further,The Pell Grant is paid out by less than half, half, 3/4 and full time. One course constitutes as less than half, and you can receive up to $1,340 to attend a course.

Edit: I received my first installment of financial aid which included TAP and Pell which came to around $4000 in the beginning of October of 2011. I declared my major mid December.

I wasn't referring to whether or not "declaring" your degree had anything to do with the financial aid, but these are workshop classes that DONOT earn any credits. Unfortunantly out of 4 local colleges none of them offer a photography program. The only college offering anything related to photography only offers these workshops.

Ballistics said:
This is wrong completely. I'm living proof. I completed 2 semesters as a non-matriculated student, I literally just declared a major like 3 weeks go. All non-matriculated students are classified under general studies anyway. I applied for financial aid in April of 2011 and was approved in May of 2011 as a non-matriculated student. Furthermore, my local BOCES offers courses like photography which can be covered by TA. I did it myself. I applied for and was approved for a welding course, but was never able to attend. You don't have to "plan" to do anything when you enroll in college. People attend community colleges all the time, stop going, and then go back later and have no complications.

Taking it a step further,The Pell Grant is paid out by less than half, half, 3/4 and full time. One course constitutes as less than half, and you can receive up to $1,340 to attend a course.

Edit: I received my first installment of financial aid which included TAP and Pell which came to around $4000 in the beginning of October of 2011. I declared my major mid December.

You do realize that was a NON-degree grant. That is what non-matriculating students get if it is offered. Look it up - some schools say that non-matriculating students do not get financial aid.

Ballistics said:

You do realize that was a NON-degree grant. That is what non-matriculating students get if it is offered. Look it up - some schools say that non-matriculating students do not get financial aid.

I received full TA. $7200 total for the year. $5200 was from Pell.

Well, until we know what city she is in we can't really rule anything out. I'm not saying that this is impossible, but both schools I have been to in two different states do not require matriculation in order to receive FA. Either way, you can declare a major and still take 1 course. Regardless though, if she can receive the pell grant, then matriculation is irrelevant anyway.

Last edited:
US Federal Student Aid

- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program

Even the Pell Grant says that you must be enrolled in a degree program, not just taking classes in a non-matriculated format.

No idea what TA is

Ballistics said:

Well, until we know what city she is in we can't really rule anything out. I'm not saying that this is impossible, but both schools I have been to in two different states do not require matriculation in order to receive FA. Either way, you can declare a major and still take 1 course. Regardless though, if she can receive the pell grant, then matriculation is irrelevant anyway.
In the past I have received both Pell, along with the IL Map grant. What would my city have to do with it? Shouldn't it be what state I'm in?

So start with a degree course in general studies.
How about just going to see the financial aid office at the college. They'll help you to get everything and anything you can get in student aid.
When my husband started back to college his degree program was Phys Ed for lack of anything else he could think of-this from the disabled guy. Then it turned to IT or something in that general field. It's not like you can't change it every semester to suit your course load.
then take business courses, or an aerobics class or whatever. Most colleges have at least basic photography and basic art classes. Take them too. Business especially marketing and accounting will be much needed as a photographer.

I don't qualify for any financial aid or support because my husband makes too much money... and they expect us to pay for outrageous college courses?

US Federal Student Aid

- be enrolled or accepted for enrollment as a regular student working toward a degree or certificate in an eligible program

Even the Pell Grant says that you must be enrolled in a degree program, not just taking classes in a non-matriculated format.

No idea what TA is

Tuition Assistance - As I have said twice now, non-matriculated students are considered General Studies which is considered Liberal Arts. I took 1 class and received TA.

In the past I have received both Pell, along with the IL Map grant. What would my city have to do with it? Shouldn't it be what state I'm in?

The city has to do with what college you would be going to which would determine their policy. What city do you live in?

I don't qualify for any financial aid or support because my husband makes too much money... and they expect us to pay for outrageous college courses?

At an average, the cost at a community college for a photography cost should be about $150. If you think about it, that's actually pretty good. You get first hand information, hands on experience, direction, shooting assignments, possibly the ability to print your work and the list goes on. You can learn a lot on your own, but it would be expedited in a decent community college.

Ballistics said:
Tuition Assistance - As I have said twice now, non-matriculated students are considered General Studies which is considered Liberal Arts. I took 1 class and received TA.

So technically you were a matriculating student who was under a liberal arts degree program. Non-matriculating students don't qualify for financial aid and are not working towards a degree.

Ballistics said:
At an average, the cost at a community college for a photography cost should be about $150. If you think about it, that's actually pretty good. You get first hand information, hands on experience, direction, shooting assignments, possibly the ability to print your work and the list goes on. You can learn a lot on your own, but it would be expedited in a decent community college.

150.00? You do realize that it varies school to school? Local community college around me charges over 300.00 per credit - photography course is 3 credits - with a 150.00 lab fee.

$300/credit?? At a community college?? You were paying more for one class than my wife was full time at Casper (WY) College without any scholarships!

Man. I'm starting to see why people love Halliberton, BP and Sinclare so much in that state.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back