I dropped my Canon T2i :( How worried should I be?

MelissaP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just dropped my camera from about 2 feet onto the driveway......It has a few scratches and chipped my lens protector. The lens cap pooped off the moment it hit the ground. At first I thought this is baaaad! But after checking it out as thoroughly as I can, it seems to be ok (I think). Flash, lens, and the camera itself are all working on cue. I had a strap on it as well, but I was an irresponsible camera owner and wasn't wearing it:((( To top it off it is about 3 weeks new!!! I looked through many posts that were similar to mine. They all seem to say that the warranty won't cover them for dropping issues, however I don't think it necessarily needs to be checked out as nothing seems to be affected....If I have an issue later on related or not, will the warranty be void then? How worried should I be? :confused:

If you can't find anything wrong...it's probably OK. If you have the 18-55mm lens, I'd suspect that it's the weakest part of the kit, so it it's OK, the camera body is probably OK as well.

Chalk it up to experience and be more careful.

If it's working, don't worry about it.

I've dropped my camera bag a few times, and I've dropped the camera itself off my desk before :shock:

I guess the main difference there is that in my bag it was cushioned and when it fell off my desk, my floor is carpeted... HOWEVER... if it seems to be working, you're probably okay.

I'd be more worried about the lens and whether or not you'd need to get the focus adjusted. I've knocked around a lens a couple of times and it started front-focusing, but I got it adjusted. It didn't cost me anything though because it was still under warranty.

Did you try taking test shots with it?

I've dropped my T1i several times and, well, it still works so I'd say if nothing is seeming wrong, it probably is ok!

Will the lens 'protector' come off, or is it now bent and semi-permanently attached, chip and all?

You're correct that the camera maker's warranty only covers materials and workmanship issues, not impact damage.

Camera body should be ok, they're made to take some bullying

I would think it is ok. I could see the focus being changed a little so may want to check that. Sounds like the lens took the brunt of it.

Awe thank you everybody!!!! You're making me feel better about it. Yes to Big Mike its the 18-55mm. And yes to KmH the protector is unscrewing fine! Luckily it was on it to protect the lens that would've taken the blunt of the fall. Geesh!!! e.rose I have taken a lot of test shots and the all seem to be ok!! So my next questions is.... where do I go to get the focus checked (Likely a silly question)? Now obviously I will spend the $20-25 to get a new protector (Happily if that's all I have to do to learn from this), however out of curiousity if the lens protector has a 5mm x 2mm chip in it right along the outer edge would it noticeably affect photos? Thanks again to all for your feedback I really appreciate it:)

Last edited:
Try a quick self-test of the AF. Makes some shots.

I am confused. The lens cap has a chip and you are asking if it will affect photo's? I have to be reading that wrong.

To check the focus point it at something and using the auto focus try and focus on something. Try this with several different images and look at them on the computer and see if the object you focused on is in focus. That is where I would start.

Try the pop-up flash too. And the self-timer.

Ok great thanks dots and Scuba! Yes Scuba, you read it right I had a typo-oops. I just edited it to lens protector* but I think I already know the answer just thought I'd see if I should keep the protector as a back up or toss in the garbage?

Luckily it was on it to protect the lens that would've taken the blunt of the fall.
It doesn't work that way.

The majority of the shock generated by the drop got transmitted to the lens, and to the camera body through the lens mount.

KmH said:
It doesn't work that way.

The majority of the shock generated by the drop got transmitted to the lens, and to the camera body through the lens mount.

Good point KmH. I guess I meant that the lens without the protector may have been worse off (chipped or worse)...Do you agree with everyone that the camera body & lens is likely ok? They seem fine to me:/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back