I feel like a n00b... explain this lever to me

zamanakhan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Ok... i was looking at pictures on the back of the d800(i have on preorder and i talked to the guy today and i think next month it should be in :D ) and i noticed the massive lock lever... now this was also on the d7000, and on the d200. I never really used it much, it just annoyed me when i would forget it was clicked off and i was unable to change the focus selector, it would take a sec to figure out exactly what i had done, i got used to it but it was an annoyance none the less. I am starting to wonder if there was more to that level than i thought... was it used to lock onto focus? i never had too much problem using AFC for moving subjects and 3d (i think i no longer have my camera so i cant check but i remember which one it was,) i missed focus alot but i think it had to do more with my dog whom i photographed running being all black. I never had a problem with other dogs who were white, i could always lock onto their eyes where as my dog's eyes are all black. I also never really had problems with cars and motorcycles either.

So am i missing something here, is there some magical AF mode i am missing? what is the focus selector lock used for?

Side note, another annoyance on the d7000 was where the live view was, my thumb would rest exactly where it is and i would often lock it into live view while trying to compose through the viewfinder.

If you're referring to the switch surrounding the multi-selector on the back, if so, it locks the focus point into a spot if you switch it to L, otherwise you're free to move the focus point around.

You should watch today's CreativeLive session which talks about the controls and menus of the D800.

Nikon D800 - DSLR Fast Start | creativeLIVE

live | creativeLIVE

If you're referring to the switch surrounding the multi-selector on the back, if so, it locks the focus point into a spot if you switch it to L, otherwise you're free to move the focus point around.You should watch today's CreativeLive session which talks about the controls and menus of the D800.Nikon D800 - DSLR Fast Start | creativeLIVElive | creativeLIVE
No I Understand that... And that is the switch I am talking about. I was just wondering if there s more to it than that. Why bother with a lock for af selections... I thought there was something more to it than that. From what I am finding online, there isn't, pity it could of been used for other things.

It's a personal preference, some people like to lock in to a particular focus point, main center, they would focus-recompose. Some would move the focus point to where their subject would be. When I'm shooting something dynamic in movement, cycling, musicians, I would move my focus point away from center and wait till their face moves into the point. For portraits, sometimes I would lock it in the center focus point and recompose. Again, personal preference.

This is incredibly useful for me. I shoot a lot of tournament paintball, and that little focus points gets moved around a lot by accident in general handling

Most reactions

Back