I fixed the car I AM A REAL MAN!

unpopular

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
And I saved my family hundreds! WOOT.

Ok. It wasn't a major repair, but it was a puzzle, and had stumped my independent mechanic. The brake lights stopped working, and the left blinker was acting erratic. I figured the only thing that passed through both the brake lights and the blinkers was the Lamp Failure Module. I called around, and only the dealer could get me one - in a friggin week and it'd cost me $160. After market units still cost me $60-80, and I wasn't 100% sure that it'd work.

I really didn't want to pay the dealership $80 bucks just to TELL me I needed an $80 part. So off to the junk yard, where they pointed me to the pile-o-volvos for my happy hunting of the obscenely expensive little red canister.

Final cost $5. The blinker still acted eratic, I read something about bulb failures causing this and bought a set of blinker bulbs for another $5.50, for a grand total of $10.50.

The blinker bulb base was cracked and the terminals were burned down. I am thinking the bulb itself was damaged and caused the Lamp Failure Module to fail.

WOOOT! I love it when I can fix things myself.

Nice. I try to do my own car repairs when I can. I can't always do it unfortunately, due to living in a los angeles apartment with no driveway.. but it's fun working on your own car.

On this car I've changed the radiator, thermostat, heater intake line and control valve. Next week I will see if there is a turbo bypass valve in good condition at the junk yard, and I will probably replace the air cleaner housing, though they only have one 940 there, and I am unsure if it is turbo. I think though the 800 and 700 series both have the same bypass valve.

Volvos are awesome to work on, everything is easy to access, but OEM parts are ridiculously expensive.

always a good feeling. i had to put a whole new cylinder head on my jeep (bought it cheap with cracked head), something ive never tried to tackle alone, nor with help for that matter but i did it alone... and it weighs like 90lbs (dang inline 6 cylinders). i got it all put back together (properly) only to find out that it had a misfire (cylinder 5 intake lifter had collapsed). lesson learned, simple easy stuff like that i shouldve replaced when i had it tore down. its already back apart, gonna rebuild the whole motor now, should be a good learning experience.

Ive always had mechanic friends that lived close. now they have all moved away and ive had to test what little i have managed to learn from them.
i was so happy when i was able to change the alternator and bypass the heater box on my '96 mustang.

As great as it felt to get that all figured out, I lost my alternator belt at the summit of beartooth pass immediately after. I tried temporarily replacing it with a hair band, but lost power half way back down. No power steering or power brakes on this road:
beartooth_map.jpg

(Beartooth Highway Information)

Lost power around Lower Streck. My dad almost died.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back