Manaheim's Ultimate Guide to Night Photography

Hi Manaheim!

Found this thread in your signature - I like it! Thanks for posting. I do have a bit of advice that could be useful though. When composing your shot, jack your ISO up to the max. 128,000 even, or whatever the extra high ridiculous setting is. This will enable you to get the right angle and everything, without having to go 20 seconds between shots. I've found it to be a helpful trial and error technique!

Hey, interesting idea and nice suggestion. Thanks for posting it!

Sure thing! I encountered the idea when doing some research on night photography myself. Definitely saves a lot of time. I just find night photography to be extra special because I feel like that's the time where every single setting on your camera can make a huge noticeable difference and everything has to be in perfect harmony to create a great image. Really tests one's ability. Plus, it's a lot of fun xD

This just so happens to be what i'm looking for.

Sweet! Good luck with it.

Glad it was helpful!

Thanks for your guide. I was actually at the same spot practicing long exposures a few days ago. Someone taught me just leave on AV mode F11, put on tripod and let the camera do the rest. Sounds as if i need to plan on staying later next time and try it your way. I do think the 10th attempt turned out pretty good with my lack of experience

Its also an extremely good spot for HDR. It seems HDR helps a lot in the darker scenes to brighten things up

Last edited:
Hey, very nice. Good start!

Thanks you for sharing your experiences with all of us. Learned a lot now to put it into practice. Will post results

Thanks for the guide. Do you have any tips or advice for shooting night time shots in a place like Las Vegas that has many bright lights everywhere. I would like to get some great night time shots while I'm there.

Thank you for that guide!
I have to admit my first try at night-time photography went south with a bit of stupidity myself.
I took the camera from the (nicely warm) car and set it up out in the field, in about 5°Celsius.
Halfway through the exposure-time the outer lens had steamed over, completely ruining the shot.
Now I decided to wait until spring, for warmer nights, and then try again.

Max

Most reactions

Back