Manaheim's Ultimate Guide to Night Photography

:lol: Well, 1, yes that totally is extremely funny...

2... no, I'm not female.

3... that's actually not me in the picture. :)

:lol: Well, 1, yes that totally is extremely funny...

2... no, I'm not female.

3... that's actually not me in the picture. :)

Only one of these statements is true.

hahah... wow... what an alarming proposition. :lol:

Haha... Nice. ;)

Stunning final product in that tutorial BTW.

Just saw this post, really interesting, I have never tried night photos, this makes me want to try.

Great guide! Thank you! I havent tried the "expose to the right" technique, something new to think about. Also didnt know all that about the star effect.

Im also surprised that there is no mention of HDR in the OP. It rather easily allows you to over come a lot of the issues with static night photography. Shooting RAW is so important, multiply that by 3, 5, 7. You can edit it so it appears as simply a very good single exposure. It doesnt have to be overcooked.

Lesson 15 : Lock Up the Shutter
Most cameras have the ability to lock the shutter in the "out of the way" position before taking the shot. This will marginally reduce camera shake to help you have an even steadier camera and thus a clearer sharper picture. (I did this in Trial 4)

I assume this should read Lesson 15: Lock up the mirror

Very nice tutorial, will follow these lessons as soon the weather is nice again.

Great guide! Thank you! I havent tried the "expose to the right" technique, something new to think about. Also didnt know all that about the star effect.

Im also surprised that there is no mention of HDR in the OP. It rather easily allows you to over come a lot of the issues with static night photography. Shooting RAW is so important, multiply that by 3, 5, 7. You can edit it so it appears as simply a very good single exposure. It doesnt have to be overcooked.

meh... I'm not a huge HDR guy, and when I've done the HDR with night photography i've had odd results... so either I haven't quite figured it out, or HDR for night photography is icky. :) Not sure which.

Lesson 15 : Lock Up the Shutter
Most cameras have the ability to lock the shutter in the "out of the way" position before taking the shot. This will marginally reduce camera shake to help you have an even steadier camera and thus a clearer sharper picture. (I did this in Trial 4)

I assume this should read Lesson 15: Lock up the mirror

Very nice tutorial, will follow these lessons as soon the weather is nice again.

Oh yeah... whoops. I'll fix that. Thanks! :)

Lesson 4 : Don't Make Embarrassing Poses and Faces if You're Not Totally sure the Flash is Off
Need I say more?

Jer%20Flash%20100.jpg

Eh? Eh? :lol:
Pictures like these push tutorials to a whole new level.

Thanks for sharing.

My favorite is the twilight zone. Once I got the basics, I always shot just at night whenever it suited me... but now my focus lies on the blue hour. It's mostly a rush to get to the right location on the right time, and then you have only a few minutes for your shot.
Exciting. Even night photographty is one of the most easy things in photography, it's still my favorite.

I like the gradient from black to blue. Gradient is important to me, and vanishing point aswel, that is something I need to work on in the future.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back