I GET IT!!!!

USAF-SSgt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The light bulb went off and I'm so EXCITED!!!! I FINALLY understand how F-stop and Shutter speed and ISO correlate. I understand that if you go down one full stop, you should also double your shutter speed if the shot was metered to begin with. (I understand metering a shot too) WOW.. I feel so much better about having a $1,000 worth of camera equipment and knowing how to use it. I want to go take a million pictures right now but its 3:30 am (CRAP) and my car is low on gas (DOUBLE CRAP!!!)

I want to thank everyone for taking the time to repeat themselves more than once until it clicked. THIS IS GREAT!!!

I do have one more question though. Sorry. LOL

In Live View, if the sensor is reading a washed out area (no detail because of being to bright), I get an ExpSIM icon. Sometimes its blinking as well as the area that is over exposed, and sometimes the icon just on steady.

My question is what's the differance between blinking and steady and how do I correct for it if the histogram is peaked in the middle of the graph already? I thought about adjusting the Exposure Comp but I don't want to UNDERexpose a different part of the shot. (TRIPLE CRAP) I'm dumb again. LMAO

Thanks in advance

Sometimes a properly exposed subject will have a blown out background, not much you can do about it in some cases.

One possible way around this is a technique called HDR where you take (for example) 3 exposures of the same shot but purposely underexposing one, properly exposing a second and overexposing the third.

Then, using a program such as Photomatrix you can combine the 3 to get one photo with nice detail in the highlights and shadows while preserving the exposure of the subject.

Some people prefer 3 exposures, others 5, 7 or even 9.

Read more about it here:
High dynamic range imaging - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The light bulb went off and I'm so EXCITED!!!! I FINALLY understand how F-stop and Shutter speed and ISO correlate.
Ha ha! I remember when the light bulb when off in my head also. Not so difficult to understand now, is it. It's the same as riding a bicycle. I kept telling my daughter, eventually you will just take off and start riding and you won't understand why it was so difficult as it is so easy now. It was exactly that way the first time she took off. She wanted to try again, and I was just about to grab the seat to hold the bike and she just took off and rode.

I find it comical trying to get someone to understand aperture, shutter, and ISO and they can't come to grips over the concept at all. Eventually, it is a smack-the-head and shout "DOH!" moment and it all comes together for everyone. I remember when it was like rocket science to me and the moment it became as simple to understand as riding a bicycle.

So HDR is strickly a software thing. It doesn't matter what camera your using? I thought that the camera had to be at a certian setting for a successful HDR.

Thanks for the advice.

So HDR is strickly a software thing. It doesn't matter what camera your using? I thought that the camera had to be at a certian setting for a successful HDR.

Thanks for the advice.
You bracket shots in the camera, shooting 3 or more of the same shot with different exposures (underexposed, proper exposure, and overexposed) and combine all 3 using software.

Thanks for the advice.
You don't want the aperture to change so the DOF is the same for the exposure string (3 or more images). So either shutter speed, ISO, or both have to change to bracket exposures.

So, most HDR exposures are taken in the Aperture Priority shooting mode.

By the way, years ago I found the easiest way to "I GET IT" was by doing the math. ;)

Most reactions

Back