I get to see the beautiful game!!

You rock!! :D :D

I'm jealous... :p

ok with the risk of sounding like a mornon (which isnt hard to do ;) ) explain what this event is, I dont think Ive ever heard of it :oops:

Guess I should've explained a bit better. :) In European soccer, each country has their own league, but then they have this big tournament called the Champions' League, where the top couple teams from all the different national leagues play against each other.

Well last summer, to try and bolster the popularity of soccer in the US, they brought several of the teams over to the US and had 'friendlies' during the summer--matches that don't really count for anything, but are just more like practice scrimmages. It was HUGELY popular--I think almost all the events sold out. Several of them (held in NFL stadiums) drew bigger crowds than any american football game ever did.

Anyway, they just announced that they're doing it again this summer, so my buddy and I are taking our wives up to Chicago to see the match. Manchester United is one of the top teams in England (they used to have David Beckham playing for them), and Bayern Munchen (or Bayern Munich) is one of the top teams from Germany. Bayern's goalkeeper is Oliver Kahn--arguably the best keeper in the world. United has two of the best strikers in the world. Should be an awesome match!!! We're in the nosebleed section (couldn't afford the $150 a pop lower level seats!), but hey, that's what binoculars and telephoto zooms are for! :D :D :D

dang, sweet. hope you all have a good time then.

eh no shame in nosebleed section, the main thing is your there. I think being at an event is waaaaaaaay better then watching it or listening to it on tv.

My team Wigan Athletic are playing live on SKY SPORTS this friday 17:35 local time. Norwich (1st) v Wigan Ath (4)

Darfion said:
My team Wigan Athletic are playing live on SKY SPORTS this friday 17:35 local time. Norwich (1st) v Wigan Ath (4)

Good luck to Wigan!! I hope they make it to the Prem so I can see them here in the states next season!! :-D

(Did I do an okay job of explaining the champions league??)

Right. I'm off to see my boys play the current league leaders. A few beers are expected to be consumed so don't expect me to be on here later. If i am on here later i appologise now for my comments :roll:

Soccer, geez..... Baseball is where its at guys. So is Beckham retired, or is he playing for another team now, I didn't know he wasn't playing for Manchester anymore.

Havoc said:
Soccer, geez..... Baseball is where its at guys. So is Beckham retired, or is he playing for another team now, I didn't know he wasn't playing for Manchester anymore.

Beckham got sold to Real Madrid, a spanish league team. BIIIIIIG news. Something like 40 million pounds or something. Gigantic move. I think it hurt Man-U, but they're still holding their own pretty well. I love Arsenal, but I think their run this year is more of a fluke than anything else.

Lost 2-0 :( Played ok but not as good as we normally do. Norwich played very well and scored two outstanding goals. We had a goal disallowed for off-side when the scores were 1-0. Looking at the replays after it should've stood because we were clearly on-side. But, that's the way it goes sometimes.
Please, people of this board, don't ask me to explain the off-side rule to you :?

Darfion said:
Lost 2-0 :( Played ok but not as good as we normally do. Norwich played very well and scored two outstanding goals. We had a goal disallowed for off-side when the scores were 1-0. Looking at the replays after it should've stood because we were clearly on-side. But, that's the way it goes sometimes.
Please, people of this board, don't ask me to explain the off-side rule to you :?

Sorry to hear about Wigan!! That blows! :-( Is there any hope of them making the Prem next year?

:lol: about the offsides. My wife's played footy her entire life, I just picked it up about 3 years ago. I absolutely could NOT understand offsides at first. "What the hell do you mean, the offsides line moves?!?!?!" :lol:

Shark said:
Is there any hope of them making the Prem next year?
WE are still in the play-off places. The top two go up automatically and then the next four teams below them fight it out for the one remaining place, so yes, we still have a good chance of making it.
If we do make it to the prem' i will be celebrating for weeks on end. That's for sure.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back