I guess I don't "get" Flickr - in particular, the awards.

it's a social networking site

Um, no. It's a photo hosting site. At least for me.

yes, I agree, it's also a photo hosting site :) hey, I'm on your side, I was trying to defend it from the flickr-bashing :) As I said, silly awards and all, I will keep using it intensely, enjoying stuff from the good photographers posting there, and shamelessly getting free lessons from that. Worry not, I am in no way a threat to any real artists or pros...

yes, I agree, it's also a photo hosting site :) hey, I'm on your side, I was trying to defend it from the flickr-bashing :) As I said, silly awards and all, I will keep using it intensely, enjoying stuff from the good photographers posting there, and shamelessly getting free lessons from that. Worry not, I am in no way a threat to any real artists or pros...

:thumbup:

shamelessly getting free lessons from that

x2! ;)

Last edited:

Um obviously you don't use it much. Try looking up 'Flickr meet up group'.

Until it's full of people who join and put no content on it with the sole purpose of becoming your friend, then post endless spam about the latest craptacular pop sensation that automatically fills up your front page when you log in (naturally assuming one of your friends don't bit you to join the latest zombie vs vampires application), and all that is left inbetween the meaningless drivel of other people's unwanted comments are emo status updates all saying how happy they are that they have found a new friend, or that they are depressed because the sun wasn't smiling and all their other friends are posting endless spam about the latest craptacular pop sensation............ Oh my god i'm getting dizzy.

No it's a photo posting site with a minor side feature of offering a forum (nothing more). Or you may as well call Facebook a photo site since it allows you to upload photos.

In any case most of those idiotic awards are from people who have started small groups and will give awards to anything and anyone with the soul purpose of directing more traffic at their small attention craving group.

Facebook would be a better place if you could automatically ban all these invitations from your account.

flickr makes me want to throw away all my gear. Sorry, I just have to express my flickr hatred in every flickr thread...

Flickr is the modern urban telephone pole; loaded, simply loaded with old staples and remnants of fliers people have tacked up, tacked over, ripped off,taped up, double-stapled, push-pinned, you name it.
that, is a GREAT analogy of flickr.

alot of flickr for me, isn't the feedback, but a place where friends and family can see what i'm up to.

Not to mention, flickr has a community aspect to it, for example the PDX strobist group that meets once or twice a month, to shoot together, coordinated through flickr.

The award system, yes, worthless and attention whoring.

However, there are some phenomenal images on flickr, no doubt, and i don't think anyone would argue that.

^You're flickr is great!^
I have looked through it before and was impressed with your photos. :thumbup:

flickr makes me want to throw away all my gear. Sorry, I just have to express my flickr hatred in every flickr thread...

Flickr is the modern urban telephone pole; loaded, simply loaded with old staples and remnants of fliers people have tacked up, tacked over, ripped off,taped up, double-stapled, push-pinned, you name it.

I couldn't agree more with these two posts. I joined flickr for photohosting and perhaps a chance at some learning experiences 3 years ago. It lasted a week before I figured out what a joke that place was. And the only learning I got was from the photos that you had to agree that you were of over 18 years of age to view. LOL:lol: I forget which magazine subscription I have that showcases some great photographers from Flickr every now and then, but they are the exception and not the rule.

Wow. I have used Flickr for a couple of years and had no idea they had "awards," as I have never received one. But I know my stuff is crap so I really don't expect one.

The "awards" on Flickr are just worthless merit badges to congratulate mediocrity as an attempt to ensure the perpetual circle-jerk that is Flickr continues.

Those awards are awesome. That's actually the only reason I got into photography...

I still haven't gotten one yet though, not sure what I'm doing wrong.
You're probably making photos that are actually good.

Last edited:
I wonder for what serious photographer like you... use flickr?
Is really a good question... it is so good for sharing? do you get many comments or visitors ?

I can manage a website and I have my own so actually I will not need flickr for that... for show my portfolios... my idea is mainly to use flickr as platform to get comments and visitors... do you think is a good idea? a good strategy?

Is really a good question... it is so good for sharing? do you get many comments or visitors ?

I can manage a website and I have my own so actually I will not need flickr for that... for show my portfolios... my idea is mainly to use flickr as platform to get comments and visitors... do you think is a good idea? a good strategy?

I'm wondering the same. For those who have a pro subscription, why Flickr and not Smumug, Zenfolio or something? I'm talking about simply sharing. Wat's better about Flickr in that regard?

I'm wondering the same. For those who have a pro subscription, why Flickr and not Smumug, Zenfolio or something? I'm talking about simply sharing. Wat's better about Flickr in that regard?

What's better about those other ones?

The only other photo hosting site I've ever used is photobucket.

I guess I use Flickr instead of any of the other ones because that's what I found first, and now it's too late to change. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back