I had someone to call cops on me

May I offer a different perspective?

At what point did we become afraid of terrorism? Terrorism had killed a tiny fraction of airline passengers compared to other accidents. The world trade centre deathtoll was 2995. The 2001 deathtoll due to motor vehicle accidents was 42196.

As a cop (and this question goes out to the general public too) do you consider the disproportionate expenditure on anti-terrorism to be justified in the face of so many other potential problems? 2001 was an extreme year to choose the statistic too. In 2002 43005 people died in car accidents, and 2 people died as a result of terrorism on US soil.

Speaking from an Australian point of view, if even half of the funding for anti-terrorism here would be re-directed to our massive problem of drink driving or driving under influence of drugs a significantly higher portion of people could be saved for the number of tax dollars and police hours spent. Now admittedly police would need to investigate a call from the public, however all around the world I think it's getting easier to create false reports. How come it is I know the number to the terrorist hotline here in Australia but not the number to crime stoppers (police information hotline)? Why is it that when I went to collect my bag at the carousel at the airport I came back to find 4 armed officers examining my backpack, a backpack that had just been through the security checkpoints of 4 other countries?

Are you afraid of me? Because I am beginning to think I may be a terrorist given all the attention I'm getting. I even have a passport stamp from the UAE (spent the night there in a curtsey hotel waiting for a plane about 6 years ago) which no one in the world gave a damn about except the U.S. Customs guard when I drove down from Vancouver a few years ago.

Last edited:
Fear == Control

That has been proven over and over again... throughout history.

After Fear, comes DISTRACTION. General public doesn't raise a stink because they are too busy trying to earn enough $$$ for crap they don't need. Remember, the best thing we all can do for our country (meaning the US citizen) is go shopping.... don't look at the war over there... look at the new flat panel TV OVER HERE... (and Ignore Foxconn Technology)

May I offer a different perspective?

At what point did we become afraid of terrorism? Terrorism had killed a tiny fraction of airline passengers compared to other accidents. The world trade centre deathtoll was 2995. The 2001 deathtoll due to motor vehicle accidents was 42196.

As a cop (and this question goes out to the general public too) do you consider the disproportionate expenditure on anti-terrorism to be justified in the face of so many other potential problems? 2001 was an extreme year to choose the statistic too. In 2002 43005 people died in car accidents, and 2 people died as a result of terrorism on US soil.

Speaking from an Australian point of view, if even half of the funding for anti-terrorism here would be re-directed to our massive problem of drink driving or driving under influence of drugs a significantly higher portion of people could be saved for the number of tax dollars and police hours spent. Now admittedly police would need to investigate a call from the public, however all around the world I think it's getting easier to create false reports. How come it is I know the number to the terrorist hotline here in Australia but not the number to crime stoppers (police information hotline)? Why is it that when I went to collect my bag at the carousel at the airport I came back to find 4 armed officers examining my backpack, a backpack that had just been through the security checkpoints of 4 other countries?

Are you afraid of me? Because I am beginning to think I may be a terrorist given all the attention I'm getting. I even have a passport stamp from the UAE (spent the night there in a curtsey hotel waiting for a plane about 6 years ago) which no one in the world gave a damn about except the U.S. Customs guard when I drove down from Vancouver a few years ago.

We became concerned with terrorism when things like the Sydney Hilton bombing occurred when 3 were killed and 11 injured. The Turkish consulate bombing where fortunately the terrorist screwed up the explosives setup and blew himself up. The 2002 Bali Bombing where 202 people were killed, the largest number being 88 Australians. Another 240 were injured. The Australian Embassy bombing that killed 9 and injuring 150 others. Apparently your government has seen fit to outlaw 19 organizations that they have designated as terrorist.

In 2001 there were 37,862 fatality accidents meaning that there were 1.1 person killed per accident. Which you even call them; accidents. None of the above listed events in your country were accidents. Sadly it seems your politicians are no more interested in the problems of DUI than in this country.

Finland and Sweden automatically sentence drunk drivers to one-year jail sentences including hard labor. In Norway, a drunk driver is jailed for three weeks with hard labor and loses their license for a year. If they do it again, they lose their license forever. In South Africa, drinking and driving results in a ten-year prison sentence or the equivalent of a $10,000 fine and, in some cases, both. These are countries that take DUI seriously. El Salvatore take is too seriously in my opinion as a first time offense can mean the firing squad.

Your figures on 2002 are incorrect on terrorism attacks in the US. I can think of 12 killed off the top of my head. The 2 at LAX and 10 by the beltway snipers.

Also since 911 there have been 204 additional deaths of first responders, and an unknown number of other civilians due to the attack and devastation at the world trade center. Approximately 40% of the 5000 first responders suffer from illness directly related to the incident.

1 fatality traffic accident takes an average of 1.1 lives. 1 INTENTIONAL act of human destruction takes hundreds or thousands of lives.

One can be reduced by human beings taking more responsibility for their own actions and put down the phone, the cheese burger, turn down the music, quit watching the little tv or DVD, not drink and drive and pay complete attention to the job at hand, that being the operation of a 2000lb vehicle.

The other can only be reduced by vigilance in attempting to detect those that wish to cause mass casualties to those that they do not consider human or worth having the right to live.

Frankly I would absolutely love in 5 years to re-visit this thread and be proven wrong. Unfortunately, I dread the fact that I won't be proven wrong.

True but I fail to see how killing 100 Australians in one go 8 years ago is any worse then killing 1400 individual Australians over a period of one year.

Our government is driving the same fear gravy train as every other nation. I'm not saying terrorism isn't a problem, I'm saying the spending is disproportionate.
It's like the lady who was upset in the news that the government wouldn't pony up the $100000+ needed to do a live test of a horse vaccination for the Hendra virus. A virus which may kill a couple of horses in any given year and has killed 4 people ever. Her daughter got ill from what I remember but lived and that sparked the same fear that we currently have against terrorists who may run into our houses and kill us at any moment. That's if the people with cameras don't get us first.

We are a scared society.

That picture looks awesome, but that sucks about what happen though.

True but I fail to see how killing 100 Australians in one go 8 years ago is any worse then killing 1400 individual Australians over a period of one year.

Our government is driving the same fear gravy train as every other nation. I'm not saying terrorism isn't a problem, I'm saying the spending is disproportionate.
It's like the lady who was upset in the news that the government wouldn't pony up the $100000+ needed to do a live test of a horse vaccination for the Hendra virus. A virus which may kill a couple of horses in any given year and has killed 4 people ever. Her daughter got ill from what I remember but lived and that sparked the same fear that we currently have against terrorists who may run into our houses and kill us at any moment. That's if the people with cameras don't get us first.

We are a scared society.

It is NOT only a matter of a disproportionate amount of money being spent on the illusion of security but if we are willing to give up our freedoms to a police state because of the excuse of greater security, then the terrorists have WON. They have changed our society for the worst. They have negated American rhetoric about freedom since America is becoming no longer free. The US is also pushing for total control and monitoring of the Internet without legal restrictions, just like closed societies such as China, Burma, etc. They can even seize a computer at their border, with minimum justification.

skieur

if he was, again he is breaking the law.
What else is new?
Haven't you seen a cop turn their lights on and make you get out of their way only to just shut their lights off once they pass you at 90? They do what they want and that's why they are A-holes.

What else is new?
Haven't you seen a cop turn their lights on and make you get out of their way only to just shut their lights off once they pass you at 90? They do what they want and that's why they are A-holes.

Yes, I remember a provincial police officer describing 140 km per hour in a 100 km per hour zone as slightly accelerated. I suppose it depends on your point of view. :lol:

skieur

What else is new?

Sometimes (not always) lights and sirens are activated and then the call is canceled for one reason or another.

Are you telling me that if your car had lights and a siren you would not abuse them from time to time?:mrgreen:

What else is new?

Yes...cops are A-holes :er:

That is one reason I am scared to take my camera outside, the fact people may accuse me of being pedo (even though i am only 17 anyway.) or perverted or any other sort of thing that could get you into bother...

It is actually a fear.

the second reason is theft, I am scared of my camera being stolen from me so unless i have someone with me (which I rarely do.) I feel vulnerable.

Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little death that...

That is one reason I am scared to take my camera outside, the fact people may accuse me of being pedo (even though i am only 17 anyway.) or perverted or any other sort of thing that could get you into bother...

It is actually a fear.

the second reason is theft, I am scared of my camera being stolen from me so unless i have someone with me (which I rarely do.) I feel vulnerable.

Take a well-trained dog with you and no thief will come near. I once had an oversized standard Schnauzer that would give any potential thief a heart attack. The tech I supervised, described her as 55 pounds of dynamite who would head for the throat on command. She was actually quite friendly but rather scarey in appearance and attitude and very obedient to her owner.

skieur

I once had an oversized standard Schnauzer that would give any potential thief a heart attack.

The giants are very trainable and used by police and guards in quite a few countries. One thing most people don't think about is that they are scary because you don't see their eyes. If groomed properly, that is. I had a standard once upon a time who scared a lot of people although he was a ***** cat. I now have 2 giants in training for my property/studio (lots of property crimes here in France) and once they're here, I won't worry at all.

But to add oil to the fire, I find it funny to read about this terrorism that we are supposed to be afraid of when so many of the acts are sponsored by our own governments. False flag operation are NOT the dreams of conspiracy theorists. It usually takes years but eventually the truth comes out and it has about a number of supposed terrorist acts. The latest one is the Achille Lauro case which is now supposed to be attributable to the Mossad from documents that have finally surfaced.

Is it true? I have no idea in this case which I have had no time to look into. But I believe 9/11 will someday be proven to be such a false flag op. Too many problems with the story we are told to believe.

Sometimes, governments get caught red handed as was the case when France blew a Greenpeace boat out of the water killing one of their photographers. And because I'm quite cynical about life, I never forget to mention that it actually helped Greenpeace. Nobody was listening to them until that act of "terrorism" but all of a sudden they were on the map.

In most cases though, it takes years to find out the truth. The Reichstag fire comes to mind. Or the Gulf of Tonkin incident.

For some reason I am much more scared of our governments than a handful of terrorists. And for that reason alone I will support anyone fighting back when the authorities try to rule us by fear. And that includes cops bugging photographers.

Garbz is quite correct in asking why we worry about terrorism deaths more than the much more numerous highway deaths. Terrorism deaths pay off politically. Highway deaths, we have been taught to accept as a fact of life.

Most reactions

Back