I had to do the hardest thing last night

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I know this may not be the best place to discuss these kind of things, but I wanted to talk about it anyways.

I had to put my maine coon cat Ziva down last night. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. The last few weeks she hasn't been acting right and was losing weight rapidly so yesterday we decided to take her to the vets. In the spring we took her to the vet because had trouble eating and that was because she had a bit of dental disease and it was causing some discomfortable but we able to take control of it and she felt better in a week. We were hoping it was going to be something similar.

When the vet did the exam, she felt something not right in her abdomen and recommended an x-ray in which we were soon to find out what it was, she had 2 large tumors in her abdomen and the doctor doctor didn't think it was going to operable. Not that we could afford it anyways....

We had to make sure though so they brought us where the x-ray machine was and showed us the pictures and you can clearly see two large masses and that pushing her insides and it would eventually would of stopped her for going to the bathroom.

She was also losing her hair more so than normal for the last year or so but didn't think much about it, she was an indoor cat so I thought maybe the seasons and being in a warm environment during the cold seasons was having an effect. With her teeth and mouth problems and the hair loss the vet said she most likely had some form of cancer, most likely Leukemia which unfortunately can be common in Maine Coons.

I could see she was uncomfortable and most likely in pain so we made the decision to put her down peacefully. The veterinary hospital has a beautiful pet cemetery garden out back where she will be buried.

We didn't want watch her take her final breath so as we were leaving the nurse was holding my kitty and we were saying our final goodbyes, Ziva was just staring at me as we were walking out and I can't get that image out of my head.

I'm going to miss her lots, she will never be forgotten. My birthday is this coming weekend and this is not what I wanted.

RIP Ziva 2011-2016.

You can check out her pictures here, I know quite a few of you have seen her on here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickerwin/albums/72157662160510276/with/16977417734/

Last edited:
I'm so sorry to hear your sad news. They are members of the family and we mourn them when they are gone. I know I have looked at your Flickr photos of her in the past and it was obvious from your lovely photos of her that she was a much loved member of the family. Crappy news for this time of year and your birthday. I hope that your fond memories of her will soon replace that last look. You gave her a loving home and a nice life while she was here with us and that is what you need to remember.

:(

I still can't talk about Belle or Hobbes without tearing up. :saidasitearup:

And now one of my kittens has just recently been diagnosed with heart disease. it's tough. very very tough.

So sorry for your loss.
Losing a good friend is never easy but know that you did the right thing in easing her suffering.

Sorry to hear this Nerwin. I miss my buddy Ping who pretty much hated everyone except me. He got ill quickly and had to be put down, I stayed with him while they did it, very sad.

Im sorry to hear about that. You did the right thing and shes no longer in pain.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

Sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, the right thing can also be painful. RIP Ziva. Ziva may have passed, but she will always be in your heart.

Oh, I'm so sorry!! :( I still miss my pug, Odin, whom we had to put down in August. They are your family, and they look to us to take care of them and do what is best for them. It's what makes having pets both wonderful and painful.

Poor little Ziva. I hadn't heard about the feline leukemia in Maine coons, but it is true certain breeds can be more prone to certain diseases. You did the right (and only) thing for her. She is not suffering. I know you'll miss her. :heartpump:

I know this may not be the best place to discuss these kind of things, but I wanted to talk about it anyways.

I had to put my maine coon cat Ziva down last night. It was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. The last few weeks she hasn't been acting right and was losing weight rapidly so yesterday we decided to take her to the vets. In the spring we took her to the vet because had trouble eating and that was because she had a bit of dental disease and it was causing some discomfortable but we able to take control of it and she felt better in a week. We were hoping it was going to be something similar.

When the vet did the exam, she felt something not right in her abdomen and recommended an x-ray in which we were soon to find out what it was, she had 2 large tumors in her abdomen and the doctor doctor didn't think it was going to operable. Not that we could afford it anyways....

We had to make sure though so they brought us where the x-ray machine was and showed us the pictures and you can clearly see two large masses and that pushing her insides and it would eventually would of stopped her for going to the bathroom.

She was also losing her hair more so than normal for the last year or so but didn't think much about it, she was an indoor cat so I thought maybe the seasons and being in a warm environment during the cold seasons was having an effect. With her teeth and mouth problems and the hair loss the vet said she most likely had some form of cancer, most likely Leukemia which unfortunately can be common in Maine Coons.

I could see she was uncomfortable and most likely in pain so we made the decision to put her down peacefully. The veterinary hospital has a beautiful pet cemetery garden out back where she will be buried.

We didn't want watch her take her final breath so as we were leaving the nurse was holding my kitty and we were saying our final goodbyes, Ziva was just staring at me as we were walking out and I can't get that image out of my head.

I'm going to miss her lots, she will never be forgotten. My birthday is this coming weekend and this is not what I wanted.

RIP Ziva 2011-2016.

You can check out her pictures here, I know quite a few of you have seen her on here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nickerwin/albums/72157662160510276/with/16977417734/
So sorry for your loss. But you know you gave her a great life.

So sorry for your loss. It's been almost 10 years since we lost my dog Thunder who was my best friend through childhood and into my teens. I still miss him, and find it hard to be around other dogs. I don't know if another dog will be able to match the companionship that thunder provided.

It can be hard to lose a pet who is such a large part of your life.

Sorry to hear this. I'd say more, but I'm tearing up.

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened."
-Anatole France

So very sorry for your loss. A pet is a family member. I looked at your Flickr album and Ziva was a beauty.

Thank's everyone for all the kind comments. It's been tough for sure but I'm trying my best to work through it.

It's been really strange not having a cat around, just seems so quiet.

Today I have to go back to the vets and pick up her clay footprint thing. I really didn't want to stepped foot back in their so soon, it's shame they coulden't just ship it to me. They asked us if we wanted to keep any of her hair but I said no because there was already plenty of it at home!

I gotta move on though, there isn't anything I can do now. I said I didn't want have another pet but we been thinking about getting another cat. I just don't know if I can do it again.

I gotta move on though, there isn't anything I can do now. I said I didn't want have another pet but we been thinking about getting another cat. I just don't know if I can do it again.

That is totally understandable. It's too soon, and you get to take as much time as you need to think about Ziva, grieve for her and miss her. But...after awhile, thinking about getting another cat might take up more of your thoughts than missing Ziva. You will always miss Ziva; there was only one Ziva! And there are so many, so many, wonderful little cats out there in desperate need of a family. Sounds like you might be the perfect one to give another animal a terrific, happy life. Whenever you're ready, there is someone special waiting! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back