No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My current lenses are:

Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Canon EF-S 18-55mm F/3.5-5.6 II
Canon EF 75-300mm F/4.0-5.6 III

I want to replace my kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm) with something better and faster.

Im also a brand freak, i like things to match up, so canon lenses only please.

I eventually want a full range of focal lengths (who doesnt?)

Right now I have a gap between 0 and 18mm (not a huge deal since 18 is pretty wide angle) and then a another gap between 55mm and 75mm... then a gap from 300mm to infinity.

Any lenses that fill that gap? such as about 18-75mm lens?

The kit lens is at F/5.6 i believe at 55mm and thats just way too slow...

Any suggestions?

What do you shoot? I don't buy a lens until I find my self needing one and then it's easy to decide what to get.

Be thankful, when you get too many, it becomes a chore to choose. It can take me 30-45 mins to pack my case for a road trip, and all my little lenses are like children, they like to get outside once in a while ;)

erie

What about this.
Canon EF-S 17-55mm F/2.8 iS USM,
not exactly filling a gap but I can't find much that goes from 18 ish to 75 is.

I'd be going for a 18-50 28-70 and 70-200 all f2.8 expect for the 70 200 F4. Simply for the weight of it. But the first to are all sigma dx and the last one is canon L. I'm only missing the 18-50 at the minute.

But knowing what you shoot would help indeed.

Knowing your budget would help. The 17-55 would be an EXCELLENT replacement for the 18-55, but is a bit expensive. If you're on a lower budget, the 17-85 would cover more range, is still good quality, but you lose a few stops. Also, both are EF-S.

If it was my money I'd get either the 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, or one of the 70-200mm L's (whichever one your budget allows for).

Personally, I wouldn't really care about the 0-18 or 55-75 gaps. The 300-∞ gap could become very expensive to fill...

-edit-
And I would also avoid any EF-S lenses, like Overread says below.

It might be best to avoid EF-S if you ever plan on upgrading to a full frame camera.
I agree though that we really need an idea of budget to advise better -
what about:
EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
or
EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM

the latter is the cheaper and does have IS as a bonus

I think overread has got it spot on considering you want to switch out your wide angle zoom.

But perhaps you would like the 35mm f/2? Its only 250 or so, and the 85mm f/1.8 is really nice too.

Well I shoot everything, im a walk around person. I sometimes shoot portraits, nature, wildlife, sports etc...
Everything basically

thanks for the input everybody :)

Edit: I plan on upgrading to 5D so I dont really want to get anymore EF-S lenses.

I would say the
EF 24-105mm f4 L IS USM
or even try going up to the canon 70-200mm L line

the 24-105 is good for the little extra reach and for the IS which makes walking around really easy
but an idea of budget ;)

Only Senor Hound recommends prime???
What is wrong with you people?
I am not a canon user but there is a very good 60 mm macro prime that would help you with the 55 to 75mm gap and would give you macro.
It is getting good reviews... maybe a good choice...

Only Senor Hound recommends prime???
What is wrong with you people?
I am not a canon user but there is a very good 60 mm macro prime that would help you with the 55 to 75mm gap and would give you macro.
It is getting good reviews... maybe a good choice...
O|||||||O said:
If it was my money I'd get either the 85mm f/1.8, 100mm f/2.8 Macro, or one of the 70-200mm L's (whichever one your budget allows for).

Personally, I wouldn't really care about the 0-18 or 55-75 gaps. The 300-∞ gap could become very expensive to fill...
85 1.8 or 100 2.8 would be good choices.

Can anybody point me in the direction of a "Lens Nomenclature" link that would explain to me what all the abbreviations stand for (i.e. EF, EF-S, USM, VR, L, etc.)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back