I have a good idea.... now I have to make it work! HELP!

Scrub

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I apologize in advance about the long post but I need some help. I lurk here often, frequently without logging in, and I have learned so much, but I cannot find any good answers by reading other posts that will help me.

Part I: First of all, I have just restarted my photo business this year after a few years off. I have mostly done packages for a dance school and some daycare centers. My pricing is "budget but not cheap" and I am trying to maintain that position. I believed the quality of my work and my prices are competitive for my area.

Part II My daughter has started doing pageants, and I am easing my way into this market. {NOTE: I am strictly talking natural and low glitz pageants. Full Glitz is out of my range on edit and retouching.} The girls that compete frequently need head shots and "crown" shots on a regular basis. My work for my daughter and a couple of her friends has been competitive and I am starting to get inquiries about more work.

Part III: I pulled a statement directly out of my behind one night talking with a few folks at dinner after a pageant that is really taking off and I need to determine how to manage it. I said, "I plan on hosting a "Crowns 'n Gowns" day at the studio {My wife's dance studio does double duty as my photo studio} so that I can have multiple girls there and they can rotate camera time and you can have multiple hair and wardrobe changes at a lower sitting fee. This was originally intended as a fun time for my daughter and her friends as well as the pageant moms, where I could make some money while they get new photos and network. It has now expanded to 6 definites and 4 more possibles for the day, and it may grow more after they all chat on the parade circuit this weekend. {Pageant Queens around here LOVE Christmas Parades and hit as many as possible.}

I cannot let this drop because it looks like a good way into a market that consistently spends money on photos on a regular basis. The name I made up alone is generation lots of interest.

Notes:

I have space to hang multiple backdrops and just move lights as needed.
I have a separate space where I can set up a dressing room.
I have plenty of lobby and bathroom space.
I have a kitchenette off of the office/lounge/storeroom area.

The questions/problems:

Should I set up a group size and manage multiple groups?
Do I set up snacks/drinks for the folks?
How would you price it relative to your normal sitting fees?
Do any of you that do pageant photos have a feel for whether this will boom or bust?
I could list 12 more questions but you get the idea.

You don't have to directly answer every question but are any of you willing to take a quick stab at how you would try to manage something like this so I can gather some ideas to work with?

Thanks

David Musick
Synergy Photography of NC

How many photography web sites have you copy and pasted this on?

This is the second time I have seen it this morning. ;)

I have put in on the three that I read frequently hoping to generate some responses I can use to help me plan it so I can get it set up for right after the holidays ............... I guess great minds think alike since we are both going to the same forums.;)

Most reactions

Back