I have a website and i'm trying to get the images to look crisper

ancientartphoto

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
if you click this link:
https://aphrodite-gallery.com/product/large-phoenician-statue-child-holding-female-ca-6th-4th-century-b-c/

when on a desktop, it looks a tad bit blurry before you actually click the picture. Can you advise what i should size my images to make them crisper?

also i have a second question
I will attach for you two photos.
the one with the black backdrop is my picture. the other one is how i want the background of my black backdrop photo to look while maintaining it's shadows. so the imperfections of the background are removed.

Please do not post images to which you do not hold rights. You may post links.

what is the easiest, fastest way to do this per picture?View attachment 139377
rsz_2dsc02982.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The link takes the viewer to something called "People per hour"... I wouldn't recommend it.

With respect to your question on the statue photo posted here, it's very simple, In fact, it's nearly identical to those in this thread, with the exception of the requirement to change the white paper to medium grey and reduce the light on the background significantly.

If your using a photo software like photoshop theirs something called Unsharp Mask I think it the name. Start using a sharping filter in your post editing to get the sharpness your looking for.

the one with the black backdrop is my picture. the other one is how i want the background of my black backdrop photo to look while maintaining it's shadows. so the imperfections of the background are removed.

what is the easiest, fastest way to do this per picture?
What image editing application(s) do you have?

First, you're going to want to be sure the image file you edit has a 16-bit color depth and that your editing workspace be set to a broad color gamut color space like the ProPhoto RGB color space.

When opened in Photoshop the 8-bit color depth JPEG file type photo you posted here has posterization issues that will likely result in readily visible image editing artifacts where you tried to edit the imperfections in the background.
Note that the Internet is pretty much limited to the sRGB color space and an 8-bit color bit depth so once you are done editing the image file needs to be made an 8-bit depth/sRGB file before you put it online.
Photo Editing Tutorials
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)

Using Photoshop the Spot Healing Brush in Content Aware mode and at a suitable size would be the tool I would first use.
You'll also likely need to use the Clone Stamp Tool.
The Patch tool and the Lasso/Polygonal Lasso tools might also be needed.

As far as 'crispness' the key is setting the mid-tone contrast and the halo width at edges (sharpening) on the object you photographed.
Image content and final use of the image have a lot to do with how and how much 'crispness' we can add. Images destined for electronic display - like online- can't be sharpened as aggressively as images destined for printing.
Sharpening involves being aware of several variables and is a book length subject.
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

The real key is to improve the lighting and the enclosure materials so as to minimize the amount of post process image editing that is needed.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
SONY DSC-RX10
11.8mm
f/2.8
1/30 Shutter
ISO 160

Are you using a remote to trigger the release? You finger may be causing some camera movement, and with a slowish shutter of 1/30 you could be causing some slight motion blur.

Also your Aperture is very shallow, though you are using a 1 inch (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Sensor which increases the Depth of Field (aka DOF). But figure out your DOF here to make sure the entire image is in focus ==> A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

Personally I would have used a few flashes to lighten the subject. Have the background material as mentioned above in a seamless paper (or long project board if a small object). This will eliminate need in post processing to eliminate visual seams. Also raise the object up a bit from the paper.

$2,800 for a statue? Hire a real photographer to take the shot.
The angle, lighting, focus point is all wrong.

Hello all, thanks so much for your replies. Well the camera I am utilizing is a Sony RX10, i feel like i use it pretty well, but i am struggling to just put the focal points of it on the product that is in the center of my set-up. I can put focus on certain parts of the object but not all of it. Can someone advise on how i can use my camera to encompass all of the piece in the shot?

$2,800 for a statue? Hire a real photographer to take the shot.
The angle, lighting, focus point is all wrong.

Funny guy-- it's not that bad of a photo. The background is imperfect and thus the reason i am mainly on here.

SONY DSC-RX10
11.8mm
f/2.8
1/30 Shutter
ISO 160

Are you using a remote to trigger the release? You finger may be causing some camera movement, and with a slowish shutter of 1/30 you could be causing some slight motion blur.

Also your Aperture is very shallow, though you are using a 1 inch (13.2mm x 8.8mm) Sensor which increases the Depth of Field (aka DOF). But figure out your DOF here to make sure the entire image is in focus ==> A Flexible Depth of Field Calculator

Personally I would have used a few flashes to lighten the subject. Have the background material as mentioned above in a seamless paper (or long project board if a small object). This will eliminate need in post processing to eliminate visual seams. Also raise the object up a bit from the paper.

Thanks for this info buddy. The item picture i linked you guys with the gray gradient background is not my piece, i am trying to have an artificial single color (white, black, or gray) background substituted into my picture. i wanted to know how i can swap out the background of my image

what is the easiest, fastest way to do this per picture?
What image editing application(s) do you have?

First, you're going to want to be sure the image file you edit has a 16-bit color depth and that your editing workspace be set to a broad color gamut color space like the ProPhoto RGB color space.

When opened in Photoshop the 8-bit color depth JPEG file type photo you posted here has posterization issues that will likely result in readily visible image editing artifacts where you tried to edit the imperfections in the background.
Note that the Internet is pretty much limited to the sRGB color space and an 8-bit color bit depth so once you are done editing the image file needs to be made an 8-bit depth/sRGB file before you put it online.
Photo Editing Tutorials
The Digital Negative: Raw Image Processing in Lightroom, Camera Raw, and Photoshop (2nd Edition)

Using Photoshop the Spot Healing Brush in Content Aware mode and at a suitable size would be the tool I would first use.
You'll also likely need to use the Clone Stamp Tool.
The Patch tool and the Lasso/Polygonal Lasso tools might also be needed.

As far as 'crispness' the key is setting the mid-tone contrast and the halo width at edges (sharpening) on the object you photographed.
Image content and final use of the image have a lot to do with how and how much 'crispness' we can add. Images destined for electronic display - like online- can't be sharpened as aggressively as images destined for printing.
Sharpening involves being aware of several variables and is a book length subject.
Real World Image Sharpening with Adobe Photoshop, Camera Raw, and Lightroom (2nd Edition)

The real key is to improve the lighting and the enclosure materials so as to minimize the amount of post process image editing that is needed.

So you are essentially telling me, the key to putting a new background for my objects lies in photoshop. I am not sure if my image has a 16 bit or 8 bit color space, how can i check? I am using a Sony RX10 as my camera, if i had to guess i would say it is 16 bit.. so you're saying the internet essentially takes away the 16 bit from a photo and makes it 8 bit? i wish there was some way that i can just click my image in photoshop, click the "copy" option, and then open a new background, whether it be white, black, or gray, and just paste my image onto it while keeping it's natural shadows...

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I will assume you're working with Photoshop. Yes... some sharpening in Photoshop will help. Does your camera allow for manual focus? It looks as if the auto-focus is focusing too deep.

I would create a path using the pen tool to isolate the statue from the background. Then you will be able to add any background you like.

I too think the statue is not lit in a way that best communicates it's shape and texture.

It's an interesting piece!

-Pete

Funny guy-- it's not that bad of a photo. The background is imperfect and thus the reason i am mainly on here.

He is not being funny. As someone who has shot for a museum your photo is not good.

i was wondering if something like this can be done outside of shopify:
Remove the Background of Your Product Photos with These 4 Editing Tools – Shopify

The objects in that link were already photographed with a white background with lighting. All they are doing is a little clean up.

If you want it against a white background you need to photograph it against a white background.

Can you advise what i should size my images to make them crisper?

Im betting the way the website compresses images for the web is the reason. But for the web its not bad the bigger issues are with the image itself.

He is not being funny. As someone who has shot for a museum your photo is not good.

i was wondering if something like this can be done outside of shopify:
Remove the Background of Your Product Photos with These 4 Editing Tools – Shopify

The objects in that link were already photographed with a white background with lighting. All they are doing is a little clean up.

If you want it against a white background you need to photograph it against a white background.

Can you advise what i should size my images to make them crisper?

Im betting the way the website compresses images for the web is the reason. But for the web its not bad the bigger issues are with the image itself.

I didn't mean the objects in the Shopify link, i put that link to ask if there's a way to do that technique on photoshop, to just cut the background out like that and paste a new one

Most reactions

Back