I have magical film!

it is not the room temperature that is important, it is the termperature of the chemistry.

On temperature:

Chemists [I'm one, btw] will tell you that there's a rule of thumb about temperature and chemical reactions. Reaction speeds will double for every increase of 10 degeees C.

Now, I'm not going to crunch numbers here nor dabble in arcane math. The truth of the matter, in simple terms, is that winter room temperatures of about 68-70 degrees F will work just fine if your solutions [primarily the developer -- stop baths and fixers are less fussy,] are at that temperature. However, in summer many parts of the US will reach temperatures of 90 degrees or more. Unless you've got your bottles of chemicals in a room cooled to 68-70 degrees, you could face overdevelopment [dark negatives of increased contrast] unless you compensated for the temperature with a reduction in developing time. [There are tables which do this.]

To boil this down further: film development's 'comfort zone' is around 68 degrees F. You can stray a degree or two either side without much of a problem. However, if your indoor temperatures are going to be outside that range -- get a thermometer and heat or cool your developer to bring it back to 68 degrees F [more or less.]

it is not the room temperature that is important, it is the termperature of the chemistry.
its not so much the entire chemistry set but rather only the temp of the developer.

B&W is extremely easy to do and it only takes a couple tries to really get it down.

I use Neopan 35 and 120 I develop and print my own. I use Patterson Aculux to develop the film, the make of the wash and fix not so important. Now the lazy and unwashed have all gone to digital the cost of setting up a dark room is very small if you buy second hand. If your particularly lucky you might get it given.

Defiantly develop black and white at home

Take a photo class at a local college and you can do it in 30 min. ;) But yea, b/w that isn't c-41 gets sent out.

... this is kind of like buying a button battery and trying to fit it into gadgets that take AA, and wondering what the point of a battery is that you can't use.

Unfortunately they stopped processing b/w film locally a long time ago at places like wal mart. Even when I was in college in the late 1990's they couldn't do it.

No need to take a college course just to learn how to process b/w film. Straight development is pretty easy. Just look it up on the internets and ask questions here.

It's only a lost art for the 'lost people' - those who take convenience over quality and volume over soul.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back