I have no experience with lighting, where to start?

topazsol

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
All of my photo shoots have been outdoors but now I have an opportunity to use a great space as a temporary studio. I can use it whenever I like for free, as long as I take all my equipment with me when I leave.

So I want to experiment! I have only used natural light so far. What kind of lighting equipment should I buy? Should I buy a lighting kit and just take it from there? Any links or advice would be appreciated, thanks.

What kind of budget are you talking about?

I almost always used supplimental lighting when I shot outside.
In fact, I usually used more lighting and light modifying gear when I was shooting outside, than I did when I was shooting inside.

I was never given access to the ambient lighting controls outside (sun, clouds, weather, etc), which is why it usually took more gear.

I guess my budget is around $500, just to buy simple equipment to start off with.

Light Science & Magic and Strobist are two great places to start and probably keep coming back in the future as you go through the learning process. I'm still starting to make sense of all this myself, but you can learn the basics with just using an off-camera flash and some sort of diffusion material like a sheet.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you have a speedlight for your camera now or not? I almost always recommend a good, camera-brand speedlight as the first piece of lighting kit anyone should get. Once you've got that, then you can add on in a number of ways... my preferred lighting gear for most situations now are my big bag of old SunPak 3 and 500 series hammerhead flashes... Very versatile, can use AA batteries or 120 adaptor, guide numbers in the 130+ range... and cheap like borscht on eBay and Craig's List.

My #1 recommendation -On sale - Calumet Genesis 200 2-Light Kit

Recommendation #2 - Flashpoint 320M Portrait Wedding Monolight Kit, with Two 320 Monolights,9.5' Stands,Umbrellas, Snoot and Carrying Case

If you want something more portable like a Strobist speedlight set-up, start with this umbrella kit, radio triggers, and a couple of Vivtar 285HV speedlights - Impact Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit

Vivitar VIV-285HV Pro Thrister Flash (Black)
StudioHut 4 channel Wireless Radio Hot Shoe Flash Trigger Kit for Canon EOS, Nikon, Olympus & Pentax Flashes with 2 Receivers

Note - speedlights don't deliver as much light as the studio type monolights in the first 2 kits.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I only recommend the Flashpoint stuff that is built by Mettle. I don't have any experience with any other Chinese brand, other than Britek - which is bad, like fire hazard bad. But Mettle is good, at least as good as Alienbee, and my 300w/s units actually produce more than teh Alienbee spec sheet - according to my own measurements anyway.

The Flashpoint II 620M is essentially the same light I have, but factory modified for DC operation.

Mettle lights have a pretty distinct body. Aside from some really low end units, they all have an aluminum canister-style enclosure with ribs that run all the way down the sides and into the end caps.

Look at photos here:

Studio Flash direct from China (Mainland)

and compare against photos at adorama.

Other units may be OK, but i'd be careful. Mettle was the original Flashpoint manufacturer, and it is really Mettle that is responsible for Flashpoint's positive reputation. Because Adorama buys stuff from a number of Chinese manufacturers and puts their own name on it, you can't really trust that all Flashpoint stuff will be equal in quality. I am sure that Adorama is careful, but I am also sure as time goes on, corners have been or will be cut.

I'll second or third endorse the flashpoints. I'd say that two to three 320's are great for a good basic studio setup. 620's would be better. The 1220's are a LOT of power and if you have a huge space or something they are awesome. For basic stuff? They won't turn down far enough and one powerful strobe does not equal 3 lesser strobes: you can't move one powerful strobe to fill in on all sides, whereas you can position 3 strobes in 3 different positions and at different powers to create exactly what you need.

Most reactions

Back