I hereby reverse my stance on Speedlites.

Hickeydog

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
First off: don't look directly into the business end of a flash when it's 2 feet away from your eyes. It hurts. :confused:

Secondly: I now understand why people will drop $400 on a flash. I recently ran across a 550EX for a nice price and just couldn't pass it up. For $150 bucks on a previous gen flagship Speedlite? Sure, let's just give it a try. It can't be much better than the built in flash on the T2i, right? I mean, all it is a bulb that goes "poof". Surely there can't be much a difference between the two, right? Well........I got quite the rude surprise when I tried it out for the first time. Wow. What a difference a flash makes. Unbelievable. An exposure at 1/25, f/2.8, ISO 1600 got done at 1/200, f/5.6, ISO 100. Now, granted, the flash didn't exactly like that (the caps were a little upset), but it did it, and did it well. I'm quite impressed at the difference an external flash can do. I think I'll be keeping my eyes out for another 550EX for some off-camera work.

And another convert to the world of "Real" flashes is born. Pop-up flashes are great ... as commanders for off-camera flashes.

Funny.. I have been saying that for thirty plus years! ;) Glad you figured it out! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back