I hiked to the top of half dome

Phazan

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This was an incredible hike, so I feel like sharing the pictures..They are kinda just snap shots so that's why I'm not posting this in a gallery..

The hike is about 16 miles round trip, and 4,800 feet in elevation gain...which is why this hike is so amazing, because you basically walk uphill- up steps carved into rock for 8 miles. And when you get to the top, you can look down a vertical drop and literally sit on the edge..anyway here are some photos.

IMG_7749.jpg

on the way up, toward the beginning

lookingup.jpg

about half way there I think, this is the view of the backside of half dome.. You continue to rise in elevation around Half dome, and enter going up the right side of it.

cables1.jpg

When you're almost there, the final part to getting to the top are cables you have to climb up..it's really really scary and if you fall you basically will die..But if you're paying attention and not fooling around (anyone who is remotely scared of heights WILL be paying attention to what their doing) then it's pretty safe. a few people die every year on Half Dome either on the cables, or they get struck by lightning, etc..

cables2.jpg

Some crazy people get impatient and walk on the OUTSIDE of the cables..I have a feeling those are the ones you hear about on the news.

lookingdown.jpg

Here is me looking out, over the cliff. It took some guts and time to inch my way out so close, but the feeling is so incredible.

inspirational.jpg

ledge1.jpg

The side of the cliff

lookingdown2.jpg

Here I am sitting close to the edge..so amazing.

...In the end I ate all the food my backpack was stuffed with, and drank about 3 liters of water! (and finished it up as we were close to the end)

Well thank you for reading, if you can do really strenous hikes I highly recommend this hike..

That looks incredible! I'd love to do it sometime. These are definitely a step above snapshots, though! THe last 3 especially are very well composed and exposed, given the tricky lighting.

I just love landscape images, The air (causing the de-saturation / mist in the image) is simply wonderful.
beautiful photos, and crazy mountain

i just got goosebumps and butterflies looking at the pics of you so close to the edge, and the one looking straight down...more power to ya man...not for me.
me and heights dont get along.

that is amazing. its times like this that i wish i wouldnt be so terrified to be up there. nice shots too ;]

Most reactions

New Topics

Back