I just did a wedding

A reminder to keep posts on topic and to avoid trying to "inflame" the thread into the next "OMG its weddings" entertainment thread.

Hello,

I am back. I had to work so wasn't able to return with photos until now.

Ok I hope I am uploading these correctly. The second one is part of the series that I overexposed, I went from the shade in open sun and didn't compensate for it ugh! The bowl and flower was their table piece, and I took a variety of photos of it.. I just thought this one was interesting but maybe not quite there. I cut feet off a lot. In almost all of my photos the knees and down are missing or the shins and down.. I don't know why I do this, it's not intentionally and I actively tell myself not to do that, and not to shoot so tight! I like having lots of room but my photos are often very tight.

I really wanted the first photo to have a romantic dark editing, but ended up going light instead.

Thanks to everyone for posting. I'm out of energy right now to respond to each person directly because a lot of what I read frustrated/wore me out mentally, by the fact that people were completely misinterpreting me. My intentions are never negative, or to cause drama or upset people.. I'm just a nice person who loves photography.

$f1.jpg$f2.jpg$f3.jpg$f4.jpg$f5.jpg$f6.jpg

Last edited:
They came out good for your very first wedding. I love the angle in the first photo. I wish the photos from my first wedding were this good lol

Thank you. I was feeling pretty badly about this whole thing, I really had a great experience and learned a lot though. I hope to maybe be a second shooter for another photographer, but not sure how to go about it. I have approached one before and she told me she didn't want to show me how to take the bread off her table. Eek.

Is it unethical to photoshop one of her standing in her dress in front of a window to create a silhouette? The silhouette I took is with her facing forward, and she just told me she wants it to be with her looking out the window.. which I don't have.

So do you happen to have any of your first wedding photos online? Maybe everyone should post them on this thread lol.

Not too bad. Not fantastic with three exclamation points and all-caps, but not too bad. A lot of people would not be able to take these kinds of pictures. Back in the old days, weddings were often done in 12,16,20 pictures. Today, many people expect 1,000 to 1,400 pictures. If these are representative of the quality and style you were able to deliver them, then they surely will be satisfied.

Darrel thank you for taking a look and commenting. I hope to one day be able to get to the fantastic stage and glad to have this forum and people to learn with. I took a total of 800+ photos and was there for 8 hours. I haven't culled them enough yet to know how many keepers I have for them but I know it's definitely not going to be near that high.

Thanks! Sorry i forgot you posted about that previously.

You did a great job for your first wedding. I like the angled one from above and the one in front of the fence is really good. Be proud that you survived and with each wedding you will continue to grow. Thank you for sharing. It will be a great learning tool for you in the future.

Better than most first timers, and better than many of the "facebook" PRO's that have posted here... congrats! Please keep in mind that the majority of threads like this one produce horrible images... hence the skepticism and negativity on the part of many.

Thank you Kathy and all you have to say is the word learning to me and I'm game.

Good job for a first wedding! And I think we can all agree that you must have at least moderately thick skin to have endured this thread. Kudos to OP.

I've seeen much worse....not bad at all. key is you're learning. You are very hard on yourself and critical of yourself, with the intent of getting better. that's a good thing. You'll be fine..keep shooting and learning...most of all shooting.

I understand the point Charlie makes, we've all seen those threads. I really do appreciate the encouragement from you all, it helps to confirm I am moving along the right track! & yes.. I am critical of myself.. but it's like.. no pain no gain right?!

yeah some good photos for your first time for sure, keep up the learning and you will be fine.

Second shooting is hard to find, you have to go out there and ask a lot. I am still trying to find second shooter positions, I went so far as to go on an interview in Cincinnati two hours away for a second shooter position. Got told I did a great job for my first wedding, that I was way more advanced for what he had normally come in to interview, then was told nobody they have had long distance work out. so basically didn't get hired by one of the top wedding photographers in cincy because of other people not being dedicated. You will hear a lot of no's but you will eventually find someone. I hopefully will be second shooting with a guy later this year if things work out like promised. but even with that i'm still looking around for other opportunities. just got to keep trying.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back