I just did a wedding

Bravo for posting pics. Not horrible at all. The important part is that you've gained experience. Keep shooting!

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

True that is the important part along with the bride and groom receiving photos of their day, I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself if I botched their wedding photos too much!

I have seen worst by beginers and pro's. I shot weddings during the late 1970's and 1980's, the days of film. I have a very good friend that is a pro that had to recreate a wedding shoot. The mother of the bride was real pain in the butt. The one film camera failed during the wedding and a processor lost or destroyed 3 rolls of film from a back up camera he used. In the days of film you never knew what you had until the film was processed. You can feel good you have some nice shots.

I have to say I do not envy those days, but I really regard photographers who used film in a much higher respect than myself who only used film when I was a little girl! It seems like the photography world was a completely different thing pre digital. .. and wow that is a disaster! I could not imagine that.. eek.

Rabbit, you did great! Why are you so hard on yourself?

If you do a few more free weddings, I see no reason why you won't be able to charge full scale for your work. Here's my critical review, based on the thumbnails I saw:
1) The overhead shot is top-notch
2) The still images are great
3) The black and white is great
4) The color photo of the couple is not so great. You need to study this and figure out why. I think the expression on her face could be better. Part of the gig is being social and coaxing good expressions out of them. But your technique looks very good, and maybe the couple is very happy with it.
5) In the group photo, the woman on the left isn't well exposed. Best way to improve a group shot is to put them in rows; this lets you move in closer, and the aspect ratio of the group more closely matches the frame of the photo. Plus, it lets you even out the lighting.

You don't have to agree with my critiques. I don't know you, but I think you've definitely got the skill to get paid for this. If that's what you're interested in, do a few more for free (I for cost of prints). There are lots of couples who would be delighted to have free photos like that, no reason for you to make excuses at all. After half a dozen, I bet you'll have all the experience you'll need.

Most reactions

Back