I just got my first DSLR today for my Birthday!

MelissaBrooks

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I did a search on Google and this was the first forum that I found. I am looking forward to learning all about my new camera. My parents gave me a Canon Rebel T3i for my birthday with a second lens. It is a 55-250 by Canon as well. I have done a little modeling (non professional) and I went to a shoot with my partner and watched the photographer taking all of the shots of her. I was much more excited about being behind the camera than in front of it. I am a little on the camera shy side. :blushing:

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with some information on where I can learn about being a better photographer? I have a little Canon Elph but I just always took snapshots of friends and stuff. I would really like to start getting more serious as I learn my new camera.

Welcome! There's a wealth of information on this forum. Cambridge in colour has some outstanding tutorials which will help you understand the basics of your camera and photography. Some advice I will offer: Read your camera manual cover-to-cover. When you're done that, read it again, and then, read it once more just for good measure. Shoot lots, post your images here, and remember that even if the comments seem harsh, almost all are meant to help you grow and learn as a photographer.

Read your manual front to back, learn the exposure triangle then read up on composition. that should be a good start. Youtube is your friend.

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your birthday.
Be sure to read the manual thoroughly.
Check the local camera store for possible classes that they may have.
Pick up one of Bryan Peterson's books "understanding Exposure". Post images here for C&C and understand that some may be very straight forward comments but you will learn here.
Happy shooting.

Welcome.
Seconding Cambridge in Colour as something useful to read. As everyone has mentioned; get stuck into your manual.

That along with taking a few hundred photos of the same thing just playing around with settings so you can see exactly what is being effected by the changes.

I have taken a look at that website. It seems to be very informative, however it seems a bit advanced. I am going to go to the library this afternoon and see if they have that book. I have been reading the manual front to back. I have my camera in front of me and I change all of the settings as I come to them. I will have to start messing with them as I take pictures. I Googled Exposure Triangle and I am learning some from that as well. Thank you all for the information!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back