I just started photography and have a problem

Mav-Ok, that REALLY helped me a lot, thank you very very much. You are right in assuming that I dont fully understand how evrything works, after all, I just bought this camera, so your right there. Also, if you recall, I wasnt blaming my camera at first, I was blaming my lack of knowledge. Then someone said it could be the camera, and they gave a long explanation of why, which is why I considered that. Their post helped a lot too:), and was one of the first big explanations I got.

Youb are entirely right on needing actual experience, which is what I am doing, I am testing this, and coming back to find out what I did wrong:)

Stranger- Yeah, I was talking about the insults;)

Also, I figured that, I was just stating that if it can go up to 1/4000, why is it stuck at 1/400 max( like that 220 mph car being constantly driven at 40 mph)

Mav, again, that last post really helped, and I think it resolved my problem, so thats really all I need.

Lafoto-I will take that advice, and I'm not sure if you were being sarcastic, but either way, soem of that is news to me. Mav mentioned the 5 ss, and resolved my problem( Also the number is 1:3.6-5.6)

I'm sorry that I got some people upset just because I am new to this all, but the title of this sub-forum says its for newbies, so you really have no reason to be angry with me for not being as experienced as you.

lol... I doubt anyone is mad at you... but your questions are quite basic and you are a fast learner, if a little stubborn about accepting advice where to learn from instead wanting to be spoon fed an instant response.

Really... do yourself a favor, go out and purchase UNDERSTANDING EXPOSURE by Bryon Peterson. You will thank us later... yes, it is that good and that important for the new amateur who is serious about learning.

Yeah, I just figured a help forum is there so you dont have to go out and seek it for money or look extremely hard to find it.

I will definitely look up that book

This reminds me of the post not too long ago where the guy wanted to argue with everyone about what a lens hood was for.

Read the manual. Put the camera on P, go outside and shoot some photos. Pay attention to what the camera is setting for you. Go inside, load the photos on your computer and look at them.

Read the manual some more. Shoot some more, etc......

Repeat as many times as necessary. Then you will learn and the world will be wonderful.

Right, here I am again.
I could not find any recent photo taken at Christmas right into the Christmas lights, must have taken one of those on Christmas 2006, but those files are on the external drive and I am too lazy to put it up just now.

But here is one that I took of our fairly dimly lit room (candle light and the little lights, nothing else) and of us sitting at the table ... and I knew I would underexpose it but did not want to force the family to sit there unblinkingly and without breathing (almost) for 8 seconds.

So this is an example of a photo taken with the kit lens of my camera, at f7.1, ISO 200, exposed for 3.2 seconds.

WeihnachtenBeispielfoto1.jpg

Since it was taken as a RAW picture, I later had the chance to do some changes in the RAW converter, to overcome the underexposure (that I knew would be there), so later I upped exposure by 1.00, added a fill light of +10, set shadow contrast to +10, changed the white balance from 3450 to 2150 and upped saturation to +40. Here's the result:

WeihnachtenBeispielfoto2.jpg

(Keep in mind I like this one enough to NEVER actually show it, i.e. NOT, I only chose this as an example of photographing in a dimly lit room, and that DOES require exposure times of several seconds).

Rick-I am not really argueing over the obvious, if that is what you were saying(I wouldnt know, because I dont know the post you were talking about) But that "read the manual, shoot, repeat" thing, That is what I am doing....I like to approach things like that, I just wanted to know if i was doing something wrong

Lafoto-Thank you for your wonderful examples, I'll have to mess with the Iso some more until it "clicks"

Ok, you've all helped me a lot but like I said before, Mav resolved it for me :)....I wouldnt want to be a troll:grumpy:

Also-Jerry- I didnt notice it til now, but thank you for calling me a quick learner =D

:greenpbl:

. I really want to take pictures of humming birds, which are common here,

why take pics of something you see every day only to see it on your PC?
Why not unusual things?

I suggest increading ISO to 400, and going to f/5.0

Most reactions

Back